Scheduling to minimize stringer utilization for continuous annealing operations
In this paper we present a mathematical program and heuristic algorithms to schedule coils for the production operations in a copper (or steel) coil manufacturing industry. The processing facility uses continuous operations for processing (e.g., galvanizing and annealing) while the handling unit is a discrete coil. The ends of coils are “stitched” or welded together to enable continuous processing, and the joint is later sheared off to obtain the processed coils. Processing constraints impose restrictions on the compatibility between a pair of coils that are overcome by introducing a dummy coil called stringer, which is very expensive to a mill. This paper deals with modeling the sequencing/scheduling problem of coils on parallel non-identical machines to minimize stringer utilization. Both computational and practical experiences show the efficiency and effectiveness of the solution approaches. Implementing these methods in an actual coil annealing facility resulted in 65% reduction in stringer utilization.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tang, Lixin & Liu, Jiyin & Rong, Aiying & Yang, Zihou, 2001. "A review of planning and scheduling systems and methods for integrated steel production," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 1-20, August.
- Allahverdi, Ali & Gupta, Jatinder N. D. & Aldowaisan, Tariq, 1999. "A review of scheduling research involving setup considerations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 219-239, April.
- Lee, Young Hoon & Pinedo, Michael, 1997. "Scheduling jobs on parallel machines with sequence-dependent setup times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 464-474, August.
- Kut C. So, 1990. "Some Heuristics for Scheduling Jobs on Parallel Machines with Setups," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(4), pages 467-475, April.
- Liao, C. J. & Yu, W. C., 1996. "Sequencing heuristics for dependent setups in a continuous process industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 649-659, December.
- Ruiz-Torres, Alex J. & Ho, Johnny C. & Ablanedo-Rosas, José H., 2011. "Makespan and workstation utilization minimization in a flowshop with operations flexibility," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 273-282, June.
- Widmer, Marino & Hertz, Alain, 1989. "A new heuristic method for the flow shop sequencing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 186-193, July.
- Bektas, Tolga, 2006. "The multiple traveling salesman problem: an overview of formulations and solution procedures," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 209-219, June.
- Tang, Lixin & Liu, Jiyin & Rong, Aiying & Yang, Zihou, 2000. "A multiple traveling salesman problem model for hot rolling scheduling in Shanghai Baoshan Iron & Steel Complex," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 267-282, July.
- Allahverdi, Ali & Ng, C.T. & Cheng, T.C.E. & Kovalyov, Mikhail Y., 2008. "A survey of scheduling problems with setup times or costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(3), pages 985-1032, June.
- Tang, Lixin & Zhao, Yufang, 2008. "Scheduling a single semi-continuous batching machine," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 992-1004, December.
- Lopez, Leo & Carter, Michael W. & Gendreau, Michel, 1998. "The hot strip mill production scheduling problem: A tabu search approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(2-3), pages 317-335, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:4:p:437-444. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.