The multiple traveling salesman problem: an overview of formulations and solution procedures
The multiple traveling salesman problem (mTSP) is a generalization of the well-known traveling salesman problem (TSP), where more than one salesman is allowed to be used in the solution. Moreover, the characteristics of the mTSP seem more appropriate for real-life applications, and it is also possible to extend the problem to a wide variety of vehicle routing problems (VRPs) by incorporating some additional side constraints. Although there exists a wide body of the literature for the TSP and the VRP, the mTSP has not received the same amount of attention. The purpose of this survey is to review the problem and its practical applications, to highlight some formulations and to describe exact and heuristic solution procedures proposed for this problem.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Xiubin & Regan, Amelia C., 2002. "Local truckload pickup and delivery with hard time window constraints," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 97-112, February.
- Yang GuoXing, 1995. "Transformation of multidepot multisalesmen problem to the standard travelling salesman problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 557-560, March.
- Kulkarni, R. V. & Bhave, P. R., 1985. "Integer programming formulations of vehicle routing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 58-67, April.
- Okonjo-Adigwe, C, 1988. "An effective method of balancing the workload amongst salesmen," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 159-163.
- Mole, RH & Johnson, DG & Wells, K, 1983. "Combinatorial analysis for route first-cluster second vehicle routing," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 507-512.
- Macharis, C. & Bontekoning, Y. M., 2004. "Opportunities for OR in intermodal freight transport research: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 400-416, March.
- Bezalel Gavish, 1976. "Note--A Note on "The Formulation of the M-Salesman Traveling Salesman Problem"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(6), pages 704-705, February.
- Mitrovic-Minic, Snezana & Krishnamurti, Ramesh & Laporte, Gilbert, 2004. "Double-horizon based heuristics for the dynamic pickup and delivery problem with time windows," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 669-685, September.
- Tang, Lixin & Liu, Jiyin & Rong, Aiying & Yang, Zihou, 2000. "A multiple traveling salesman problem model for hot rolling scheduling in Shanghai Baoshan Iron & Steel Complex," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 267-282, July.
- Golden, Bruce & Levy, Larry & Dahl, Roy, 1981. "Two generalizations of the traveling salesman problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 439-441.
- Joseph A. Svestka & Vaughn E. Huckfeldt, 1973. "Computational Experience with an M-Salesman Traveling Salesman Algorithm," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(7), pages 790-799, March.
- Carter, Arthur E. & Ragsdale, Cliff T., 2002. "Scheduling pre-printed newspaper advertising inserts using genetic algorithms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 415-421, December.
- R. D. Angel & W. L. Caudle & R. Noonan & A. Whinston, 1972. "Computer-Assisted School Bus Scheduling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(6), pages 279-288, February.
- Samuel Gorenstein, 1970. "Printing Press Scheduling for Multi-Edition Periodicals," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(6), pages 373-383, February.
- Kim, Kap Hwan & Park, Young-Man, 2004. "A crane scheduling method for port container terminals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 752-768, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:34:y:2006:i:3:p:209-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.