Asymptotic results in segmented multiple regression
This paper studies the asymptotic behavior of the least squares estimators in segmented multiple regression. For a model with more than one partitioning variable, each of which has one or more change-points, we study the asymptotic properties of the estimated change-points and regression coefficients. Using techniques in empirical process theory, we prove the consistency of the least squares estimators and also establish the asymptotic normality of the estimated regression coefficients. For the estimated change-points, we obtain their consistency at the rates of or 1/n, with or without continuity constraints, respectively. The change-points estimated under the continuity constraints are also shown to asymptotically have a multivariate normal distribution. For the case where the regression mean functions are not assumed to be continuous at the change-points, the asymptotic distribution of the estimated change-points involves a step function process, whose distribution does not follow a well-known distribution.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 9 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003.
"Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998. "Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models," Cahiers de recherche 9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate examples of Bai-Perron procedure," Statistical Software Components RTZ00008, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BAIPERRON: RATS procedure to perform Bai-Perron Test for Multiple Structural Changes," Statistical Software Components RTS00013, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "MULTIPLEBREAKS: RATS procedure to perform multiple structural change analysis," Statistical Software Components RTS00138, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Yu, Binbing & Barrett, Michael J. & Kim, Hyune-Ju & Feuer, Eric J., 2007. "Estimating joinpoints in continuous time scale for multiple change-point models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 2420-2427, February.
- Jushan Bai, 1997. "Estimation Of A Change Point In Multiple Regression Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 551-563, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:99:y:2008:i:9:p:2016-2038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.