A profile-type smoothed score function for a varying coefficient partially linear model
The varying coefficient partially linear model is considered in this paper. When the plug-in estimators of coefficient functions are used, the resulting smoothing score function becomes biased due to the slow convergence rate of nonparametric estimations. To reduce the bias of the resulting smoothing score function, a profile-type smoothed score function is proposed to draw inferences on the parameters of interest without using the quasi-likelihood framework, the least favorable curve, a higher order kernel or under-smoothing. The resulting profile-type statistic is still asymptotically Chi-squared under some regularity conditions. The results are then used to construct confidence regions for the parameters of interest. A simulation study is carried out to assess the performance of the proposed method and to compare it with the profile least-squares method. A real dataset is analyzed for illustration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 102 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naisyin Wang & Raymond J. Carroll & Xihong Lin, 2005. "Efficient Semiparametric Marginal Estimation for Longitudinal/Clustered Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 147-157, March.
- You, Jinhong & Chen, Gemai, 2006. "Estimation of a semiparametric varying-coefficient partially linear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 324-341, February.
- Li, Qi, et al, 2002. "Semiparametric Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 412-22, July.
- Lai, T. L. & Robbins, Herbert & Wei, C. Z., 1979. "Strong consistency of least squares estimates in multiple regression II," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-361, September.
- Lixing Zhu & Liugen Xue, 2006. "Empirical likelihood confidence regions in a partially linear single-index model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(3), pages 549-570.
- Zhu, Lixing & Lin, Lu & Cui, Xia & Li, Gaorong, 2010. "Bias-corrected empirical likelihood in a multi-link semiparametric model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(4), pages 850-868, April.
- Manski, Charles F., 1985. "Semiparametric analysis of discrete response : Asymptotic properties of the maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 313-333, March.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- Yingcun Xia, 2004. "Efficient estimation for semivarying-coefficient models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 91(3), pages 661-681, September.
- Clifford Lam & Jianqing Fan, 2008. "Profile-kernel likelihood inference with diverging number of parameters," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 31548, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Li, Gaorong & Zhu, Lixing & Xue, Liugen & Feng, Sanying, 2010. "Empirical likelihood inference in partially linear single-index models for longitudinal data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 718-732, March.
- Qiang Chen & Lu Lin & Lixing Zhu, 2010. "Bias-corrected smoothed score function for single-index models," Metrika, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 45-58, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:102:y:2011:i:2:p:372-385. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.