Estimation of a semiparametric varying-coefficient partially linear errors-in-variables model
This paper studies the estimation of a varying-coefficient partially linear regression model which is a generalization of the partially linear regression model and varying-coefficient regression model [Fan and Huang, Manuscript, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA, 2002]. We focus on the case where some covariates are measured with additive errors. The usual profile least squares and local polynomial estimations lead to biased estimators of the parametric and nonparametric components, respectively, when measurement errors are ignored. By correcting the attenuation we propose a modified profile least squares estimator for the parametric component and a local polynomial estimator for the nonparametric component. We show that the former is consistent, asymptotically normal and achieves the rate in the law of the iterated logarithm, and the latter achieves the optimal strong convergence rate of the usual nonparametric regression. In addition, a consistent estimator is also developed for the error variance. These results can be used to make asymptotically valid statistical inferences. Some simulation studies are conducted to illustrate the finite sample performance of the proposed estimators.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 97 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eubank, R. L. & Hart, J. D. & Speckman, Paul, 1990. "Trigonometric series regression estimators with an application to partially linear models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 70-83, January.
- Li, Qi, et al, 2002. "Semiparametric Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 412-22, July.
- Lai, T. L. & Robbins, Herbert & Wei, C. Z., 1979. "Strong consistency of least squares estimates in multiple regression II," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-361, September.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & LIang, Hua & Gao, Jiti, 2000. "Partially linear models," MPRA Paper 39562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Zhou, Xian & You, Jinhong, 2004. "Wavelet estimation in varying-coefficient partially linear regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 91-104, June.
- Donald, S. G. & Newey, W. K., 1994. "Series Estimation of Semilinear Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 30-40, July.
- Stephen J. Iturria & Raymond J. Carroll & David Firth, 1999. "Polynomial Regression and Estimating Functions in the Presence of Multiplicative Measurement Error," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 547-561.
- Gao, Jiti, 1995. "The laws of the iterated logarithm of some estimates in partly linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 153-162, November.
- Hamilton, Scott A. & Truong, Young K., 1997. "Local Linear Estimation in Partly Linear Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Rice, John, 1986. "Convergence rates for partially splined models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 203-208, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:97:y:2006:i:2:p:324-341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.