Does bank ownership increase firm value? Evidence from China
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2008. "Rethinking Bank Regulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521709309, October.
- Cull, Robert & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2000. "Bureaucrats, State Banks, and the Efficiency of Credit Allocation: The Experience of Chinese State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Santos, Joao A.C. & Rumble, Adrienne S., 2006. "The American keiretsu and universal banks: Investing, voting and sitting on nonfinancials' corporate boards," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 419-454, May.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Anil Shivdasani & Takeshi Yamada, 2000. "The Effect of Bank Relations on Investment Decisions: An Investigation of Japanese Takeover Bids," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2197-2218, October.
- Fan, Joseph P.H. & Wong, T.J. & Zhang, Tianyu, 2007. "Politically connected CEOs, corporate governance, and Post-IPO performance of China's newly partially privatized firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 330-357, May.
- Welch, Ivo, 1997. "Why Is Bank Debt Senior? A Theory of Asymmetry and Claim Priority Based on Influence Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1203-1236.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Minton, Bernadette A., 1994. "Appointments of outsiders to Japanese boards: Determinants and implications for managers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 225-258, October.
- Cull, Robert & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2005. "Institutions, ownership, and finance: the determinants of profit reinvestment among Chinese firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 117-146, July.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Shivdasani, Anil, 1995. "Firm performance, corporate governance, and top executive turnover in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 29-58, May.
- Flath, David, 1993. "Shareholding in the Keiretsu, Japan's Financial Groups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 249-257, May.
- Allen, Franklin & Qian, Jun & Qian, Meijun, 2005. "Law, finance, and economic growth in China," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 57-116, July.
- Sun, Qian & Tong, Wilson H. S., 2003. "China share issue privatization: the extent of its success," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 183-222, November.
- Piman Limpaphayom & Sirapat Polwitoon, 2004. "Bank Relationship and Firm Performance: Evidence From Thailand Before the Asian Financial Crisis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(9-10), pages 1577-1600.
- Laeven, Luc, 2001. "Insider Lending and Bank Ownership: The Case of Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 207-229, June.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Lins, Karl V. & Roper, Andrew H., 2004.
"The effect of capital structure when expected agency costs are extreme,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, October.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Karl V. Lins & Andrew H. Roper, 2001. "The Effect of Capital Structure When Expected Agency Costs are Extreme," NBER Working Papers 8452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C.W. Fok & Yuan-Chen Chang & Wen-Tuz Lee, 2004. "Bank Relationships and Their Effects on Firm Performance Around the Asian Financial Crisis: Evidence from Taiwan," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(2), Summer.
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1751.
- Gorton, Gary & Schmid, Frank A., 2000.
"Universal banking and the performance of German firms,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 29-80.
- Gary Gorton & Frank A. Schmid, 1996. "Universal Banking and the Performance of German Firms," NBER Working Papers 5453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mahrt-Smith, Jan, 2006. "Should banks own equity stakes in their borrowers? A contractual solution to hold-up problems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2911-2929, October.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Berlin, Mitchell & John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony, 1996.
"Bank Equity Stakes in Borrowing Firms and Financial Distress,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 889-919.
- Mitchell Berlin & Kose John & Anthony Saunders, 1995. "Bank equity stakes in borrowing firms and financial distress," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1995. "Equity ownership and the two faces of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 131-157, September.
- Kroszner, Randall S. & Strahan, Philip E., 2001. "Bankers on boards: *1: monitoring, conflicts of interest, and lender liability," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 415-452, December.
- Lihui Tian & Saul Estrin, 2007. "Debt financing, soft budget constraints, and government ownership," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 15, pages 461-481, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph P. H. Fan & Li Jin & Guojian Zheng, 2016. "Revisiting the Bright and Dark Sides of Capital Flows in Business Groups," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 134(4), pages 509-528, April.
- Ahmet Inci, 2011. "Capital Investment, Earnings, and Annual Stock Returns: Causality Relationships In China," Eurasian Economic Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 1(2), pages 95-125, December.
- Kashif Rashid & Seep Nadeem, 2014. "The Role of Ownership Concentration, its Types and Firm Performance: A Quantitative Study of Financial Sector in Pakistan," Oeconomics of Knowledge, Saphira Publishing House, vol. 6(2), pages 10-61, June.
- António Pedro Soares Pinto & Mário Gomes Augusto & Pedro M. Gama, 2010. "Bank Relationships And Corporate Governance: A Survey Of The Literature From The Perspective Of Smes," Portuguese Journal of Management Studies, ISEG, Universidade de Lisboa, vol. 0(1), pages 65-85.
- repec:pdc:jrnbeh:v:13:y:2017:i:2:p:142-151 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lu, Zhengfei & Zhu, Jigao & Zhang, Weining, 2012. "Bank discrimination, holding bank ownership, and economic consequences: Evidence from China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 341-354.
- repec:bla:acctfi:v:57:y:2017:i::p:185-210 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ecofin:v:44:y:2018:i:c:p:235-253 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:riibaf:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:784-793 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:riibaf:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:285-294 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luo, Wei & Zhang, Yi & Zhu, Ning, 2011. "Bank ownership and executive perquisites: New evidence from an emerging market," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 352-370, April.
- Kun Wang & Greg Shailer, 2015. "Ownership Concentration And Firm Performance In Emerging Markets: A Meta-Analysis," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 199-229, April.
- Fan, Joseph P.H. & Huang, Jun & Zhu, Ning, 2013. "Institutions, ownership structures, and distress resolution in China," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 71-87.
- Pan, Xiaofei & Tian, Gary Gang, 2015. "Does banks’ dual holding affect bank lending and firms’ investment decisions? Evidence from China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 406-424.
- Yishu Fu & Shih-Cheng Lee & Lei Xu & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2015. "The Effectiveness of Capital Regulation on Bank Behavior in China," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 321-345, September.
More about this item
KeywordsBanking Bank ownership Valuation Emerging markets Chinese financial markets;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:28:y:2009:i:4:p:720-737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30443 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.