Asymptotic Arbitrage and the APT with or without Measure-Theoretic Structures
We present a version of the APT based on an asset index set of an arbitrary infinite cardinality. Under assumptions due to Ross and Chamberlain-Rothschild, we shhow that in the absence of gains from asymptotic arbitrage, the square of the deviations of the individual rates of return from a factor-pricing formula sum to a finite number ; and that this absence, while sufficient, is not necessary for the formula to hold. We relate these results to recent work, and explain, in particular, how a version of the APT exhibits several inconsistencies when the index set is the Lebesgue unit interval.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Chamberlain & Michael Rothschild, 1982.
"Arbitrage, Factor Structure, and Mean-Variance Analysis on Large Asset Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
0996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chamberlain, Gary & Rothschild, Michael, 1983. "Arbitrage, Factor Structure, and Mean-Variance Analysis on Large Asset Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1281-304, September.
- Chamberlain, Gary & Rothschild, Michael, 1982. "Arbitrage, Factor Structure, and Mean-Variance Analysis on Large Asset Markets," Scholarly Articles 3230355, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Huberman, Gur, 1982. "A simple approach to arbitrage pricing theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 183-191, October.
- Bewley, Truman F, 1973. "The Equality of the Core and the Set of Equilibria in Economies with Infinitely Many Commodities and a Continuum of Agents," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 383-94, June.
- Al-Najjar, Nabil I., 1998. "Factor Analysis and Arbitrage Pricing in Large Asset Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 231-262, February.
- Feldman, Mark & Gilles, Christian, 1985. "An expository note on individual risk without aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 26-32, February.
- Sun, Yeneng, 1998. "A theory of hyperfinite processes: the complete removal of individual uncertainty via exact LLN1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 419-503, May.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "The law of large numbers with a continuum of IID random variables," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 19-25, February.
- Werner, Jan, 1997. "Diversification and Equilibrium in Securities Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 89-103, July.
- Kurz, Mordecai & Majumdar, Mukul, 1972. "Efficiency Prices in Infinite Dimensional Spaces: A Synthesis," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 147-58, April.
- Bewley, Truman F., 1972. "Existence of equilibria in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 514-540, June.
- Reisman, Haim, 1988. "A General Approach to the Arbitrage Pricing Theory (APT)," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 473-76, March.
- M. Ali Khan & Yeneng Sun, 1996. "Hyperfinite Asset Pricing Theory," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1139, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- M. Ali Khan & Yeneng Sun, 1999. "Weak measurability and characterizations of risk," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 541-560.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:101:y:2001:i:1:p:222-251. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.