Exact arbitrage, well-diversified portfolios and asset pricing in large markets
For market with an atomless continuum of assets, we formulate the intuitive idea of a "well-diversified" portfolio, and present a notion of "exact arbitrage", strictly weaker than the more conventional notion of "asymptotic arbitrage", and necessary and sufficient for the validity of an APT pricing formula. One formula involves "essential" risk based on a specific index portfolio constructed from factors and factor loadings that are endogenously extracted to satisfy an optimality property involving a finite number of factors. We illustrate how our results can be translated to markets with a large but finite number of assets.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "The law of large numbers with a continuum of IID random variables," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 19-25, February.
- Mordecai Kurz & Mukul Majumdar, 1972. "Efficiency Prices in Infinite Dimensional Spaces: a Synthesis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(2), pages 147-158.
- Sun, Yeneng, 1998. "A theory of hyperfinite processes: the complete removal of individual uncertainty via exact LLN1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 419-503, May.
- Reisman, Haim, 1988. "A General Approach to the Arbitrage Pricing Theory (APT)," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 473-76, March.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1983. "Funds, Factors, and Diversification in Arbitrage Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1305-23, September.
- Bewley, Truman F., 1972. "Existence of equilibria in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 514-540, June.
- Gur Huberman & Zhenyu Wang, 2005. "Arbitrage pricing theory," Staff Reports 216, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- M. Ali Khan & Yeneng Sun, 1999. "Weak measurability and characterizations of risk," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 13(3), pages 541-560.
- Khan, A. & Sun, Y., 2000.
"Asymptotic Arbitrage and the APT with or Without Measure-Theoretic Structures,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
2000.81, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Khan, M. Ali & Sun, Yeneng, 2001. "Asymptotic Arbitrage and the APT with or without Measure-Theoretic Structures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 222-251, November.
- Al-Najjar, Nabil I., 1998. "Factor Analysis and Arbitrage Pricing in Large Asset Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 231-262, February.
- Huberman, Gur, 1982. "A simple approach to arbitrage pricing theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 183-191, October.
- Werner, Jan, 1997. "Diversification and Equilibrium in Securities Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 89-103, July.
- Anderson, Robert M., 1991. "Non-standard analysis with applications to economics," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 39, pages 2145-2208 Elsevier.
- M. Ali Khan & Yeneng Sun, 1996. "Hyperfinite Asset Pricing Theory," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1139, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Feldman, Mark & Gilles, Christian, 1985. "An expository note on individual risk without aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 26-32, February.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:110:y:2003:i:2:p:337-373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.