Board independence, firm performance and ownership concentration: Evidence from Chile
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Mak, Y. T. & Roush, M. L., 2000. "Factors Affecting the Characteristics of Boards of Directors: An Empirical Study of New Zealand Initial Public Offering Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 147-159, February.
- Fernando Lefort & Eduardo Walker, 2000. "Ownership And Capital Structure Of Chilean Conglomerates:Facts And Hypotheses For Governance," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 3(1), pages 3-27.
- Barnhart, Scott W & Rosenstein, Stuart, 1998. "Board Composition, Managerial Ownership, and Firm Performance: An Empirical Analysis," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1-16, November.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-1177, December.
- Fernando LEFORT & Eduardo WALKER, 2007. "Do Markets Penalize Agency Conflicts Between Controlling And Minority Shareholders? Evidence From Chile," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 45(3), pages 283-314.
- Gugler, Klaus & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin, 2003. "Corporate governance and dividend pay-out policy in Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 731-758, August.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randoy, Trond, 2003.
"The impact of foreign board membership on firm value,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2369-2392, December.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond, 2001. "The Impact of Foreign Board Membership on Firm Value," Working Paper Series 567, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Black, Bernard S. & Jang, Hasung & Kim, Woochan, 2006. "Predicting firms' corporate governance choices: Evidence from Korea," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 660-691, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2003.
"Boards of directors as an endogenously determined institution: a survey of the economic literature,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 7-26.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001. "Boards of Directors as an Endogenously Determined Institution: A Survey of the Economic Literature," NBER Working Papers 8161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard S. Black & Hasung Jang & Woochan Kim, 2006. "Does Corporate Governance Predict Firms' Market Values? Evidence from Korea," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 366-413, October.
- Silva, Francisca & Majluf, Nicolas & Paredes, Ricardo D., 2006. "Family ties, interlocking directors and performance of business groups in emerging countries: The case of Chile," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 315-321, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Seraj Hamed Bahrawe & Harashid Haron & Ali Nawari Bin Hasan, 2016. "Corporate Governance and Auditor Independence in Saudi Arabia: Literature Review and Proposed Conceptual Framework," International Business Research, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 9(11), pages 1-15, November.
- repec:etr:series:v:9:y:2018:i:1:p:022-029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Herrera-Echeverri, Hernán & Geleilate, Jose Galli & Gaitan-Riaño, Sandra & Haar, Jerry & Soto-Echeverry, Nidia, 2016.
"Export behavior and board independence in Colombian family firms: The reverse causality relationship,"
Journal of Business Research,
Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 2018-2029.
- Hernan Herrera-Echeverri & Jose Galli Geleilate & Sandra Gaitan-Riaño & Jerry Haar & Nidia Soto-Echeverry, 2016. "Export Behavior and Board Independence in Colombian Family Firms: The Reverse Causality Relationship," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 014971, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- González, Maximiliano & Guzmán, Alexander & Pombo, Carlos & Trujillo, María Andréa, 2013. "Corporate governance mechanisms in family firms: Evidence from CEO turnovers," Galeras. Working Papers Series 037, Universidad de Los Andes. Facultad de Administración. School of Management.
- Siri Terjesen & Eduardo Barbosa Couto & Paulo Morais Francisco, 2016. "Does the presence of independent and female directors impact firm performance? A multi-country study of board diversity," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 20(3), pages 447-483, September.
- repec:eee:fambus:v:8:y:2017:i:2:p:99-108 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hit:hitjcm:v:56:y:2015:i:1:p:93-115 is not listed on IDEAS
- Céspedes, Jacelly & González, Maximiliano & Molina, Carlos A., 2010. "Ownership and capital structure in Latin America," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 248-254, March.
- Theeravanich, Amnaj, 2013. "Director compensation in emerging markets: A case study of Thailand," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 71-91.
- Yahya Ali Al-Matari & Abdullah Kaid Al-Swidi & Faudziah Hanim Bt Fadzil & Ebrahim Mohammed Al-Matari, 2012. "Board of Directors, Audit Committee Characteristics and Performance of Saudi Arabia Listed Companies," International Review of Management and Marketing, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 241-251.
- Pombo, Carlos & Gutiérrez, Luis H., 2011. "Outside directors, board interlocks and firm performance: Empirical evidence from Colombian business groups," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 251-277, July.
- Aymen Ammari & Mohamad Kadria & Abderrazak Ellouze, 2014. "Board Structure and Firm Performance: Evidence from French Firms Listed in SBF 120," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 4(3).
- Arosa, Blanca & Iturralde, Txomin & Maseda, Amaia, 2010. "Outsiders on the board of directors and firm performance: Evidence from Spanish non-listed family firms," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 236-245, December.
- Urzúa I., Francisco, 2009. "Too few dividends? Groups' tunneling through chair and board compensation," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 245-256, April.
- Houda Ghaya & Gilles Lambert, 2012. "Caractéristiques de la diversité au sein des conseils d’administration et performance financière : une étude empirique sur les entreprises du CAC40," Working Papers of BETA 2012-14, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Rachdi Houssem & Trabelsi Mohamed Ali & Trad Naama, 2013.
"Banking Governance and Risk: The Case of Tunisian Conventional Banks,"
Review of Economic Perspectives,
De Gruyter Open, vol. 13(4), pages 195-206, December.
- RACHDI, Houssem & Trabelsi, Mohamed Ali & Trad, Naama, 2013. "Banking Governance and Risk: The Case of Tunisian Conventional Banks," MPRA Paper 81273, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Mauricio Jara-Bertin & Jean P. Sepulveda, 2014. "Earnings Management and Performance in Family-Controlled Firms:Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Serie Working Papers 01, Universidad del Desarrollo, School of Business and Economics, revised Nov 2014.
- Rivo-López, Elena & Villanueva-Villar, Mónica & Lago-Peñas, Santiago, 2014. "Does the composition of the board matter? On the relationship between corporate governance and value creation," MPRA Paper 56597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santiago Lago-Peñas & Elena Rivo-López & Mónica Villanueva-Villar, 2016. "On the relationship between corporate governance and value creation in an economic crisis: Empirical evidence for the Spanish case," Working Papers. Collection C: Family business 1602, Universidade de Vigo, GEN - Governance and Economics research Network.
- Hamid Mohsin Jadah & Logasvathi A/P Murugiah & Azira Binti Abdul Adzis, 2016. "The Effect of Board Characteristics on Iraqi Banks Performance," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 6(4), pages 205-214, October.
- Collins, Denton & Huang, Henry, 2011. "Management entrenchment and the cost of equity capital," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 356-362, April.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:61:y:2008:i:6:p:615-622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.