Portfolios in disguise? Window dressing in bond fund holdings
This paper builds on the limited body of research on window dressing by bond mutual funds. Our monthly bias-free sample allows us to undertake a more comprehensive study than is possible with the quarterly data traditionally employed in otherwise similar studies. We test window dressing in a straightforward manner using monthly undisclosed portfolios, which makes it possible to compare changes in public debt allocations around quarterly disclosures. Our results support the hypothesis that window dressing patterns vary with market conditions. We also conduct thorough tests that indicate the significant influence of fund size on window dressing. Individual analyses provide evidence that this cosmetic practice is not a widespread behaviour in the Spanish bond fund industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba, 2001.
"Capital Gains Tax Rules, Tax-loss Trading, and Turn-of-the-year Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 353-368, 02.
- James M. Poterba & Scott J. Weisbenner, 1998. "Capital Gains Tax Rules, Tax Loss Trading and Turn-of-the-Year Returns," NBER Working Papers 6616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Glenn D. Ellison, 1995.
"Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives,"
NBER Working Papers
5234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chevalier, Judith & Ellison, Glenn, 1997. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1167-1200, December.
- Chevalier, J. & Ellison, G., 1996. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Working papers 96-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lee, Cheng-few & Porter, David C & Weaver, Daniel G, 1998. "Indirect Tests of the Haugen-Lakonishok Small-Firm/January Effect Hypotheses: Window Dressing versus Performance Hedging," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 177-93, May.
- D'Mello, Ranjan & Ferris, Stephen P. & Hwang, Chuan Yang, 2003. "The tax-loss selling hypothesis, market liquidity, and price pressure around the turn-of-the-year," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 73-98, January.
- Jia He, 2004. "Quarterly Trading Patterns of Financial Institutions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 493-510, July.
- Lakonishok, Josef, et al, 1991.
"Window Dressing by Pension Fund Managers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 227-31, May.
- Lucy F. Ackert & George Athanassakos, 2000.
"Institutional Investors, Analyst Following, and the January Anomaly,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3-4), pages 469-485.
- Lucy F. Ackert & George Athanassakos, 2000. "Institutional Investors, Analyst Following, and the January Anomaly," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3&4), pages 469-485.
- Lucy F. Ackert & George Athanassakos, 1998. "Institutional investors, analyst following, and the January anomaly," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 98-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- David K. Musto, 1999. "Investment Decisions Depend on Portfolio Disclosures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 935-952, 06.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1988. " The Buying and Selling Behavior of Individual Investors at the Turn of the Year," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 701-17, July.
- Richard W. Sias & Laura T. Starks, 2006. "Changes in Institutional Ownership and Stock Returns: Assessment and Methodology," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 2869-2910, November.
- Laura T. Starks & Li Yong & Lu Zheng, 2006. "Tax-Loss Selling and the January Effect: Evidence from Municipal Bond Closed-End Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 3049-3067, December.
- Brown, Keith C & Harlow, W V & Starks, Laura T, 1996. " Of Tournaments and Temptations: An Analysis of Managerial Incentives in the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 85-110, March.
- William F. Maxwell, 1998. "The January Effect in the Corporate Bond Market: A Systematic Examination," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 27(2), Summer.
- Elton, Edwin J. & Gruber, Martin J. & Blake, Christopher R. & Krasny, Yoel & Ozelge, Sadi O., 2010. "The effect of holdings data frequency on conclusions about mutual fund behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 912-922, May.
- Mark M. Carhart & Ron Kaniel & David K. Musto & Adam V. Reed, 2002. "Leaning for the Tape: Evidence of Gaming Behavior in Equity Mutual Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 661-693, 04.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- Sias, Richard W & Starks, Laura T, 1997. " Institutions and Individuals at the Turn-of-the-Year," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1543-62, September.
- Dyl, Edward A. & Maberly, Edwin D., 1992. "Odd-Lot Transactions around the Turn of the Year and the January Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(04), pages 591-604, December.
- Matthew R. Morey & Edward S. O'Neal, 2006. "Window Dressing In Bond Mutual Funds," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 325-347.
- Busse, Jeffrey A., 2001. "Another Look at Mutual Fund Tournaments," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 53-73, March.
- Musto, David K, 1997. " Portfolio Disclosures and Year-End Price Shifts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1563-88, September.
- Ng, Lilian & Wang, Qinghai, 2004. "Institutional trading and the turn-of-the-year effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 343-366, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:36:y:2012:i:2:p:418-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.