The dynamics of price discovery for cross-listed shares: Evidence from Australia and New Zealand
This paper studies the dynamics of price discovery for markets with bilateral cross-listings. Using a sample of four Australian stocks cross-listed in New Zealand and five New Zealand stocks cross-listed in Australia for the period January 2002 to December 2007, we assess Hasbrouck (1995) information shares and Grammig et al. (2005) conditional information shares over time. We observe that in both cases the home market is dominant in terms of price discovery. However, when studying price discovery over time, we find that the importance of the Australian market (the larger of the two markets) is increasing for both Australian and New Zealand domiciled firms. Finally, using panel regression analysis, we find that the growth in the importance of the Australian market is positively related to the growth in the size of the firm and negatively related to the size of the percentage spread in the Australian market, implying that as firms grow larger and their cost of trading in Australia declines, the Australian market becomes more informative.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-1199, September.
- Chan, Justin S.P. & Hong, Dong & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 2008. "A tale of two prices: Liquidity and asset prices in multiple markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 947-960, June.
- Roosenboom, Peter & van Dijk, Mathijs A., 2009. "The market reaction to cross-listings: Does the destination market matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1898-1908, October.
- Hupperets, Erik C. J. & Menkveld, Albert J., 2002. "Intraday analysis of market integration: Dutch blue chips traded in Amsterdam and New York," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 57-82, January.
- Lieberman, Offer & Ben-Zion, Uri & Hauser, Shmuel, 1999. "A characterization of the price behavior of international dual stocks: an error correction approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 289-304, February.
- Mizrach, Bruce & Neely, Christopher J., 2008.
"Information shares in the US Treasury market,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1221-1233, July.
- Pascual, Roberto & Pascual-Fuster, Bartolome & Climent, Francisco, 2006.
"Cross-listing, price discovery and the informativeness of the trading process,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 144-161, May.
- Climent, Francisco & Pascual, Roberto & Pascual Fuste, Bartolomé, 2001. "Cross-listing, price discovery and the informativeness of the trading process," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb014511, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Bartolomé Pascual-Fuster & Francisco Climent & Roberto Pascual, 2003. "Cross-Listing, Price Discovery And The Informativeness Of The Trading Process," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-21, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Su, Qian & Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2007. "Determining the contributions to price discovery for Chinese cross-listed stocks," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 140-153, April.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Joachim Grammig & Michael Melvin & Christian Schlag, 2005.
"Internationally Cross-Listed Stock Prices During Overlapping Trading Hours: Price Discovery and Exchange Rate Effects,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
78, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Grammig, Joachim & Melvin, Michael & Schlag, Christian, 2005. "Internationally cross-listed stock prices during overlapping trading hours: price discovery and exchange rate effects," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 139-164, January.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Shoesmith, Gary L. & Wood, Robert A., 1995. "Cointegration, Error Correction, and Price Discovery on Informationally Linked Security Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 563-579, December.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Forte, Santiago & Peña, Juan Ignacio, 2009. "Credit spreads: An empirical analysis on the informational content of stocks, bonds, and CDS," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2013-2025, November.
- Cheol S. Eun & Sanjiv Sabherwal, 2003. "Cross-Border Listings and Price Discovery: Evidence from U.S.-Listed Canadian Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 549-576, 04.
- Ding, David K. & Harris, Frederick H. deB. & Lau, Sie Ting & McInish, Thomas H., 1999. "An investigation of price discovery in informationally-linked markets: equity trading in Malaysia and Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3-4), pages 317-329, November.
- Beveridge, Stephen & Nelson, Charles R., 1981. "A new approach to decomposition of economic time series into permanent and transitory components with particular attention to measurement of the `business cycle'," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-174.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Wood, Robert A., 2002. "Security price adjustment across exchanges: an investigation of common factor components for Dow stocks," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 277-308, July.
- Martens, Martin, 1998. "Price discovery in high and low volatility periods: open outcry versus electronic trading," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 243-260, December.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Huseyin Gulen & Stewart Mayhew, 2004. "Informed Trading in Stock and Option Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1235-1258, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:34:y:2010:i:3:p:498-508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.