Alternative measures of the Federal Reserve Banks' cost of equity capital
The Monetary Control Act of 1980 requires the Federal Reserve System to provide payment services to depository institutions through the twelve Federal Reserve Banks at prices that fully reflect the costs a private-sector provider would incur, including a cost of equity capital (COE). Although Fama and French (1997) conclude that COE estimates are “woefully” and “unavoidably” imprecise, the Reserve Banks require such an estimate every year. We examine several COE estimates based on the CAPM model and compare them using econometric and materiality criteria. Our results suggests that the benchmark CAPM model applied to a large peer group of competing firms provides a COE estimate that is not clearly improved upon by using a narrow peer group, introducing additional factors into the model, or taking account of additional firm-level data, such as leverage and line-of-business concentration. Thus, a standard implementation of the benchmark CAPM model provides a reasonable COE estimate, which is needed to impute costs and set prices for the Reserve Banks’ payments business.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamada, Robert S, 1972. "The Effect of the Firm's Capital Structure on the Systematic Risk of Common Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(2), pages 435-52, May.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- anonymous, 1990. "The Federal Reserve in the payments system," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue May, pages 293-298.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1997. "Industry costs of equity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 153-193, February.
- Paul D. Kaplan & James D. Peterson, 1998. "Full-Information Industry Betas," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 27(2), Summer.
- Tara Rice & Kristin Stanton, 2003. "Estimating the volume of payments-driven revenues," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer.
- R. Alton Gilbert & David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 2002.
"New evidence on the Fed's productivity in providing payments services,"
2002-020, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gilbert, R. Alton & Wheelock, David C. & Wilson, Paul W., 2004. "New evidence on the Fed's productivity in providing payments services," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2175-2190, September.
- James B. Thomson, 2001. "PSAF, economic capital, and the new Basel Accord," Working Paper 0111, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bower, Dorothy H & Bower, Richard S & Logue, Dennis E, 1984. " Arbitrage Pricing Theory and Utility Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1041-54, September.
- Edward J. Green & Jose A. Lopez & Zhenyu Wang, 2003. "Formulating the imputed cost of equity capital for priced services at Federal Reserve banks," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 55-81.
- Michael C. Ehrhardt & Yatin N. Bhagwat, 1991. "A Full-information Approach for Estimating Divisional Betas," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(2), Summer.
- J. David Cummins & Richard D. Phillips, 2005. "Estimating the Cost of Equity Capital for Property-Liability Insurers," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(3), pages 441-478.
- Jose A. Lopez, 2001. "Federal Reserve banks' imputed cost of equity capital," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug10.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:30:y:2006:i:6:p:1687-1711. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.