Assessing and controlling business risks in China
Evaluating business risks becomes especially precarious in volatile information-poor emerging markets where issue-based isolated models of risk assessment no longer seem to apply. In particular, multinational corporations (referred to as "multinationals") seem not to use more established models for evaluating business risks in the second largest market for foreign direct investment (FDI), China. First, this article notes how an integrated framework of business risks may pertain to multinationals' operations in emerging markets. Next, it applies aspects of this framework to appraising business risks in China and highlights some strategies that multinationals are implementing to control risks. Finally, it offers recommendations on an effective integrated framework for business risk analysis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurent L Jacque, 1981. "Management of Foreign Exchange Risk: A Review Article," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 12(1), pages 81-101, March.
- Runde, Jochen, 1998. "Clarifying Frank Knight's Discussion of the Meaning of Risk and Uncertainty," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(5), pages 539-46, September.
- James G. March & Zur Shapira, 1987. "Managerial Perspectives on Risk and Risk Taking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(11), pages 1404-1418, November.
- Rich, Gillian & Mahmoud, Essam, 1990. "Political risk forecasting by Canadian firms," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 89-102.
- LeRoy, Stephen F & Singell, Larry D, Jr, 1987. "Knight on Risk and Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 394-406, April.
- Langlois, Richard N & Cosgel, Metin M, 1993. "Frank Knight on Risk, Uncertainty, and the Firm: A New Interpretation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 456-65, July.
- anonymous, 2000. "The brave new world of agriculture," EconSouth, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q3, pages 8-13.
- Kent D Miller, 1992. "A Framework for Integrated Risk Management in International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 23(2), pages 311-331, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:9:y:2003:i:3:p:237-252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.