Assessing and controlling business risks in China
Evaluating business risks becomes especially precarious in volatile information-poor emerging markets where issue-based isolated models of risk assessment no longer seem to apply. In particular, multinational corporations (referred to as "multinationals") seem not to use more established models for evaluating business risks in the second largest market for foreign direct investment (FDI), China. First, this article notes how an integrated framework of business risks may pertain to multinationals' operations in emerging markets. Next, it applies aspects of this framework to appraising business risks in China and highlights some strategies that multinationals are implementing to control risks. Finally, it offers recommendations on an effective integrated framework for business risk analysis.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Langlois, Richard N & Cosgel, Metin M, 1993. "Frank Knight on Risk, Uncertainty, and the Firm: A New Interpretation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 456-65, July.
- Kent D Miller, 1992. "A Framework for Integrated Risk Management in International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 311-331, June.
- James G. March & Zur Shapira, 1987. "Managerial Perspectives on Risk and Risk Taking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(11), pages 1404-1418, November.
- LeRoy, Stephen F & Singell, Larry D, Jr, 1987. "Knight on Risk and Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 394-406, April.
- Runde, Jochen, 1998. "Clarifying Frank Knight's Discussion of the Meaning of Risk and Uncertainty," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(5), pages 539-46, September.
- anonymous, 2000. "The brave new world of agriculture," EconSouth, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q3, pages 8-13.
- Laurent L Jacque, 1981. "Management of Foreign Exchange Risk: A Review Article," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 81-101, March.
- Rich, Gillian & Mahmoud, Essam, 1990. "Political risk forecasting by Canadian firms," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 89-102.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:9:y:2003:i:3:p:237-252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.