Stock liquidity and investment opportunities: New evidence from FTSE 100 index deletions
This paper examines the relationship between stock liquidity and investment opportunities in a sample of firms experiencing a negative exogenous liquidity shock, captured by deletion from the FTSE 100 stock index. We find no statistical association between stock liquidity and investment opportunities. These findings are in sharp contrast to the positive relation between liquidity and investment opportunities reported in US equity markets. This unique result in the London Stock Exchange suggests that deletion from a major stock index does not influence corporate investment decisions because there is no significant change in the cost of capital.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis, David J., 1994. "Investment Opportunities and the Market Reaction to Equity Offerings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 159-177, June.
- Fisher, Stephen J, 1994. "Asset Trading, Transaction Costs and the Equity Premium," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(S), pages S71-94, Suppl. De.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Naik, Narayan Y. & Yadav, Pradeep K., 2004. "Trading costs of public investors with obligatory and voluntary market-making: Evidence from market reforms," CFR Working Papers 04-06, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Marquering, Wessel & Verbeek, Marno, 1999.
"An empirical analysis of intertemporal asset pricing models with transaction costs and habit persistence,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 243-265, September.
- Wessel Marquering & Marno Verbeek, 1998. "An Empirical Analysis of Intertemporal Asset Pricing Models with Transaction Costs and Habit Persistence," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces9824, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- John R. Becker-Blease & Donna L. Paul, 2006. "Stock Liquidity and Investment Opportunities: Evidence from Index Additions," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 35(3), pages 35-51, 09.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- John R. Becker-Blease & Donna L. Paul, 2006. "Stock Liquidity and Investment Opportunities: Evidence from Index Additions," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 35(3), Autumn.
- Schmidt, Peter, 1990. "Three-stage least squares with different instruments for different equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 389-394, March.
- Andros Gregoriou & Christos Ioannidis, 2006. "Information costs and liquidity effects from changes in the FTSE 100 list," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 347-360.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:20:y:2010:i:3:p:267-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.