A risk-based premium: What does it mean for DB plan sponsors?
This paper develops a risked-based premium calculation model for the insurance provided by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC). It takes account of the pension fund’s and the plan sponsor’s investment policy and extends Chen (2011) by considering distress termination triggered by the sponsor’s underfunding. We empirically illustrate our theoretical pricing formula for the 100 biggest American DB sponsoring companies. Our result clearly casts doubt on the current practice where about 70% of the PBGC premiums charged are flat. We observe that the funding ratio and the leverage are the main risk factors in a risk-based premium calculation.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalra, Raman & Jain, Gautam, 1997. "A continuous-time model to determine the intervention policy for PBGC," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1159-1177, August.
- Hato Schmeiser & Joël Wagner, 2013. "The Impact of Introducing Insurance Guaranty Schemes on Pricing and Capital Structure," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 80(2), pages 273-308, 06.
- Treynor, Jack L, 1977. "The Principles of Corporate Pension Finance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 627-38, May.
- Fiona Stewart, 2007. "Benefit Security Pension Fund Guarantee Schemes," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 5, OECD Publishing.
- Sharpe, William F., 1976. "Corporate pension funding policy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-193, June.
- Jeffrey R. Brown, 2008.
"Guaranteed Trouble: The Economic Effects of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 177-198, Winter.
- Jeffrey R. Brown, 2007. "Guaranteed Trouble: The Economic Effects of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation," NBER Working Papers 13438, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David A. Love & Paul A. Smith & David Wilcox, 2009. "Should risky firms offer risk-free DB pensions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- George G. Pennacchi & Christopher M. Lewis, 1994.
"The value of Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation insurance,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 735-756.
- Pennacchi, George G & Lewis, Christopher M, 1994. "The Value of Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation Insurance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 735-53, August.
- Alan J. Marcus, 1983.
"Corporate Pension Policy and the Value of PBGC Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
1217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Marcus, 1987. "Corporate Pension Policy and the Value of PBGC Insurance," NBER Chapters, in: Issues in Pension Economics, pages 49-80 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cummins, J David, 1988. " Risk-Based Premiums for Insurance Guaranty Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 823-39, September.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Yu, Min-Teh, 2005. "Fair insurance guaranty premia in the presence of risk-based capital regulations, stochastic interest rate and catastrophe risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2435-2454, October.
- Zvi Bodie, 2006. "On asset-liability matching and federal deposit and pension insurance," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 323-330.
- Chen, An, 2011. "A risk-based model for the valuation of pension insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 401-409.
- Przemysław Rymaszewski & Hato Schmeiser & Joël Wagner, 2012. "Under What Conditions Is an Insurance Guaranty Fund Beneficial for Policyholders?," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 79(3), pages 785-815, 09.
- Sandra Blome & Kai Fachinger & Dorothee Franzen & Gerhard Scheuenstuhl & Juan Yermo, 2007. "Pension Fund Regulation and Risk Management: Results from an ALM Optimisation Exercise," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 8, OECD Publishing.
- Han, Li-Ming & Lai, Gene C. & Witt, Robert C., 1997. "A financial-economic evaluation of insurance guaranty fund system: An agency cost perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1107-1129, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:54:y:2014:i:c:p:1-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.