Pension saving schemes with return smoothing mechanism
The smoothing of capital market returns is possible if the pension plan allows for some kind of intergenerational risk transfer. This can be realized if the total of assets of the pension fund is not fully allocated to individual saving accounts but part of the assets is allocated to a collective reserve (unallocated fund). High capital returns are then used to feed the collective reserve while poor capital market returns (or even losses) are compensated by withdrawals from the collective reserve. Traditional with-profit (or participation) life insurance contracts are basically designed in this way; however in most cases the smoothing process is quite opaque and leaves room for opportunistic management decisions. We introduce a continuous time model to discuss two questions: firstly, what kind of benefit do pension savers draw from a return smoothing mechanism and secondly, how should the smoothing mechanism be steered in order to maximize the benefit for the savers. We will derive limit distributions for the smoothed return process and discuss the risk return profile of smoothed pension schemes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmeiser, H. & Wagner, J., 2011. "A joint valuation of premium payment and surrender options in participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 580-596.
- Guillen, Montserrat & Jorgensen, Peter Lochte & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2006. "Return smoothing mechanisms in life and pension insurance: Path-dependent contingent claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-252, April.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Varian, Hal R., 1988.
"Intergenerational risk sharing,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 185-202, November.
- Bohnert, Alexander & Gatzert, Nadine, 2012. "Analyzing surplus appropriation schemes in participating life insurance from the insurer’s and the policyholder’s perspective," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 64-78.
- Zemp, Alexandra, 2011. "Risk comparison of different bonus distribution approaches in participating life insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 249-264, September.
- Siu, Tak Kuen, 2005. "Fair valuation of participating policies with surrender options and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 533-552, December.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Gollier, Christian, 2008.
"Intergenerational risk-sharing and risk-taking of a pension fund,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1463-1485, June.
- Christian Gollier, 2007. "Intergenerational Risk-Sharing and Risk-Taking of a Pension Fund," CESifo Working Paper Series 1969, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gollier, Christian, 2007. "Intergenerational Risk-Sharing and Risk-Taking of a Pension Fund," IDEI Working Papers 42, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Døskeland, Trond M. & Nordahl, Helge A., 2006.
"Intergenerational Effects of Guaranteed Pension Contracts,"
2006/13, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 21 Jun 2007.
- Trond M D�skeland & Helge A Nordahl, 2008. "Intergenerational Effects of Guaranteed Pension Contracts," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 19-46, June.
- Anna Rita Bacinello, 2003. "Fair Valuation of a Guaranteed Life Insurance Participating Contract Embedding a Surrender Option," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(3), pages 461-487.
- Ed Westerhout, 2011. "Intergenerational Risk Sharing in Time-Consistent Funded Pension Schemes," CPB Discussion Paper 176, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Bjarke Jensen & Peter L�chte J�rgensen & Anders Grosen, 2001.
"A Finite Difference Approach to the Valuation of Path Dependent Life Insurance Liabilities,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(1), pages 57-84, June.
- Grosen, Anders & Jensen, Bjarke & Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2001. "A Finite Difference Approach to the Valuation of Path Dependent Life Insurance Liabilities," Finance Working Papers 01-5, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Graf, Stefan & Kling, Alexander & Ruß, Jochen, 2011. "Risk analysis and valuation of life insurance contracts: Combining actuarial and financial approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 115-125, July.
- Barbarin, Jerome & Devolder, Pierre, 2005. "Risk measure and fair valuation of an investment guarantee in life insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 297-323, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:53:y:2013:i:3:p:678-689. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.