Intergenerational Effects of Guaranteed Pension Contracts
In this paper we show that there exist intergenerational cross-subsidization effects in guaranteed interest rate life and pension contracts as the different generations partially share the same reserves. Early generations build up bonus reserves, which are left with the company at expiry of the contract. These bonus reserves function partly as a subsidy of later generations, such that the latter earn a risk-adjusted return above the risk-free rate. Furthermore, we show that this subsidy may be large enough to explain why late generations buy guaranteed interest rate products, which otherwise would not have been part of the optimal portfolio allocation. The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review (2008) 33, 19–46. doi:10.1057/grir.2008.3
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Robert Dammon & Chester Spatt & Harold Zhang, .
"Optimal Asset Location and Allocation with Taxable and Tax-Deferred Investing,"
GSIA Working Papers
2003-E44, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Robert M. Dammon & Chester S. Spatt & Harold H. Zhang, 2004. "Optimal Asset Location and Allocation with Taxable and Tax-Deferred Investing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 999-1037, 06.
- Døskeland, Trond M. & Nordahl, Helge A., 2008.
"Optimal pension insurance design,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 382-392, March.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides, 2005.
"Optimal Life-Cycle Asset Allocation: Understanding the Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 869-904, 04.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides, 2003. "Optimal life-cycle asset allocation: understanding the empirical evidence," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24900, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alexander Michaelides & Francisco J. Gomes, 2005. "Optimal life cycle asset allocation : understanding the empirical evidence," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 193, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gomes, Francisco J & Michaelides, Alexander, 2005. "Optimal Life-Cycle Asset Allocation: Understanding the Empirical Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 4853, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Bjarne Astrup Jensen & Carsten Sørensen, 2001. "Paying for Minimum Interest Rate Guarantees: Who Should Compensate Who?," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(2), pages 183-211.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-57, August.
- Michael J. Brennan, 1993. "Aspects of Insurance, Intermediation and Finance*," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(1), pages 7-30, June.
- Joao F. Cocco, 2005. "Consumption and Portfolio Choice over the Life Cycle," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 491-533.
- Rui Yao, 2005. "Optimal Consumption and Portfolio Choices with Risky Housing and Borrowing Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 197-239.
- Consiglio, Andrea & Saunders, David & Zenios, Stavros A., 2006. "Asset and liability management for insurance products with minimum guarantees: The UK case," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 645-667, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:genrir:v:33:y:2008:i:1:p:19-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.