Risk comparison of different bonus distribution approaches in participating life insurance
The fair pricing of explicit and implicit options in life insurance products has received broad attention in the academic literature over the past years. Participating life insurance (PLI) contracts have been the focus especially. These policies are typically characterized by a term life insurance, a minimum interest rate guarantee, and bonus participation rules with regard to the insurer's asset returns or reserve situation. Researchers replicate these bonus policies quite differently. We categorize and formally present the most common PLI bonus distribution mechanisms. These bonus models closely mirror the Danish, German, British, and Italian regulatory framework. Subsequently, we perform a comparative analysis of the different bonus models with regard to risk valuation. We calibrate contract parameters so that the compared contracts have a net present value of zero and the same safety level as the initial position, using risk-neutral valuation. Subsequently, we analyze the effect of changes in the asset volatility and in the initial reserve amount (per contract) on the value of the default put option (DPO), while keeping all other parameters constant. Our results show that DPO values obtained with the PLI bonus distribution model of Bacinello (2001), which replicates the Italian regulatory framework, are most sensitive to changes in volatility and initial reserves.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kleinow, Torsten & Willder, Mark, 2007. "The effect of management discretion on hedging and fair valuation of participating policies with maturity guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 445-458, May.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Gatzert, Nadine, 2008. "Asset management and surplus distribution strategies in life insurance: An examination with respect to risk pricing and risk measurement," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 839-849, April.
- Siu, Tak Kuen, 2005. "Fair valuation of participating policies with surrender options and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 533-552, December.
- Nadine Gatzert & Alexander Kling, 2007. "Analysis of Participating Life Insurance Contracts: A Unification Approach," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(3), pages 547-570.
- Gerstner, Thomas & Griebel, Michael & Holtz, Markus & Goschnick, Ralf & Haep, Marcus, 2008. "A general asset-liability management model for the efficient simulation of portfolios of life insurance policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 704-716, April.
- Kling, Alexander & Richter, Andreas & Ru[ss], Jochen, 2007. "The interaction of guarantees, surplus distribution, and asset allocation in with-profit life insurance policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 164-178, January.
- Zaglauer, Katharina & Bauer, Daniel, 2008. "Risk-neutral valuation of participating life insurance contracts in a stochastic interest rate environment," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-40, August.
- Ballotta, Laura, 2005. "A Lévy process-based framework for the fair valuation of participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 173-196, October.
- Barbarin, Jerome & Devolder, Pierre, 2005. "Risk measure and fair valuation of an investment guarantee in life insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 297-323, October.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita, 2001. "Fair Pricing of Life Insurance Participating Policies with a Minimum Interest Rate Guaranteed," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 275-297, November.
- Bauer, Daniel & Kiesel, Rudiger & Kling, Alexander & Ru[ss], Jochen, 2006. "Risk-neutral valuation of participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 171-183, October.
- Tanskanen, Antti Juho & Lukkarinen, Jani, 2003. "Fair valuation of path-dependent participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 595-609, December.
- Kleinow, Torsten, 2009. "Valuation and hedging of participating life-insurance policies under management discretion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 78-87, February.
- Anna Rita Bacinello, 2003. "Fair Valuation of a Guaranteed Life Insurance Participating Contract Embedding a Surrender Option," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(3), pages 461-487.
- Grosen, Anders & Jensen, Bjarke & Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2001.
"A Finite Difference Approach to the Valuation of Path Dependent Life Insurance Liabilities,"
Finance Working Papers
01-5, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Bjarke Jensen & Peter Løchte Jørgensen & Anders Grosen, 2001. "A Finite Difference Approach to the Valuation of Path Dependent Life Insurance Liabilities," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 26(1), pages 57-84, June.
- David Prieul & Vladislav Putyatin & Tarek Nassar, 2001. "On pricing and reserving with-profits life insurance contracts," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 145-166.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:49:y:2011:i:2:p:249-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.