Dividend optimization for regime-switching general diffusions
We consider the optimal dividend distribution problem of a financial corporation whose surplus is modeled by a general diffusion process with both the drift and diffusion coefficients depending on the external economic regime as well as the surplus itself through general functions. The aim is to find a dividend payout scheme that maximizes the present value of the total dividends until ruin. We show that, depending on the configuration of the model parameters, there are two exclusive scenarios: (i)the optimal strategy uniquely exists and corresponds to paying out all surpluses in excess of a critical level (barrier) dependent on the economic regime and paying nothing when the surplus is below the critical level;(ii)there are no optimal strategies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhu, Jinxia & Yang, Hailiang, 2008. "Ruin theory for a Markov regime-switching model under a threshold dividend strategy," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 311-318, February.
- repec:spr:compst:v:51:y:2000:i:1:p:1-42 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luz Rocío Sotomayor & Abel Cadenillas, 2009. "Explicit Solutions Of Consumption-Investment Problems In Financial Markets With Regime Switching," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 251-279.
- Zhengjun Jiang & Martijn Pistorius, 2012. "Optimal dividend distribution under Markov regime switching," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 449-476, July.
- He, Lin & Liang, Zongxia, 2009. "Optimal financing and dividend control of the insurance company with fixed and proportional transaction costs," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 88-94, February.
- Bjarne Højgaard & Michael Taksar, 2001. "Optimal risk control for a large corporation in the presence of returns on investments," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 527-547.
- Nicole Bäuerle, 2004. "Approximation of Optimal Reinsurance and Dividend Payout Policies," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 99-113.
- Sotomayor, Luz R. & Cadenillas, Abel, 2011. "Classical and singular stochastic control for the optimal dividend policy when there is regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 344-354, May.
- Abel Cadenillas & Tahir Choulli & Michael Taksar & Lei Zhang, 2006. "Classical And Impulse Stochastic Control For The Optimization Of The Dividend And Risk Policies Of An Insurance Firm," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 181-202.
- Bjarne Højgaard & Søren Asmussen & Michael Taksar, 2000. "Optimal risk control and dividend distribution policies. Example of excess-of loss reinsurance for an insurance corporation," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 299-324.
- Luis Alvarez & Jukka Virtanen, 2006. "A class of solvable stochastic dividend optimization problems: on the general impact of flexibility on valuation," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 373-398, 06.
- Guo, Xin & Liu, Jun & Zhou, Xun Yu, 2004. "A constrained non-linear regular-singular stochastic control problem, with applications," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 167-187, February.
- Abel Cadenillas & Sudipto Sarkar & Fernando Zapatero, 2007. "Optimal Dividend Policy With Mean-Reverting Cash Reservoir," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 81-109.
- Asmussen, Soren & Taksar, Michael, 1997. "Controlled diffusion models for optimal dividend pay-out," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-15, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:53:y:2013:i:2:p:439-456. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.