Pricing and securitization of multi-country longevity risk with mortality dependence
To deal with multi-country longevity risk, this article investigates the long-run equilibrium of mortality rates and introduces mortality correlations across countries as a means for pricing a multi-country longevity bond. The examination of the long-run equilibrium of the mortality rate relies on co-integration analysis, and a vector error correction model (VECM) is proposed for mortality forecasts. Mortality correlations among different countries under a VECM model are then derived. We take into account the mortality correlations across countries and utilize the multivariate Wang transform to derive the valuation formula for pricing the longevity bonds, with payoffs based on a combined weighted mortality index. This study illustrates the pattern of mortality correlations for men and women in the US and the UK, according to the Human Mortality Database. Our results show that mortality correlations across countries have a significant impact on pricing longevity bonds.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blake, David & Dowd, Kevin & Cairns, Andrew J.G., 2008. "Longevity risk and the Grim Reaper's toxic tail: The survivor fan charts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1062-1066, June.
- Hainaut, Donatien, 2012. "Multidimensional Lee–Carter model with switching mortality processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 236-246.
- Lin, Yijia & Cox, Samuel H., 2008. "Securitization of catastrophe mortality risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 628-637, April.
- Chris Wilson, 2001. "On the Scale of Global Demographic Convergence 1950-2000," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 27(1), pages 155-171.
- Sharon S Yang, 2011. "Securitisation and Tranching Longevity and House Price Risk for Reverse Mortgage Products," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(4), pages 648-674, October.
- Paul Dawson & Kevin Dowd & Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake, 2010. "Survivor Derivatives: A Consistent Pricing Framework," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(3), pages 579-596.
- Plat, Richard, 2009. "On stochastic mortality modeling," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 393-404, December.
- Brouhns, Natacha & Denuit, Michel & Vermunt, Jeroen K., 2002. "A Poisson log-bilinear regression approach to the construction of projected lifetables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 373-393, December.
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2006. "A Two-Factor Model for Stochastic Mortality with Parameter Uncertainty: Theory and Calibration," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 687-718.
- Johnny Siu-Hang Li & Mary R. Hardy & Ken Seng Tan, 2010. "On Pricing and Hedging the No-Negative-Equity Guarantee in Equity Release Mechanisms," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(2), pages 499-522.
- Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Posner, Steven E., 1998. "Asian Options, the Sum of Lognormals, and the Reciprocal Gamma Distribution," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 409-422, September.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Renshaw, A.E. & Haberman, S., 2006. "A cohort-based extension to the Lee-Carter model for mortality reduction factors," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 556-570, June.
- Michel Denuit & Pierre Devolder & Anne-Cécile Goderniaux, 2007. "Securitization of Longevity Risk: Pricing Survivor Bonds With Wang Transform in the Lee-Carter Framework," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(1), pages 87-113.
- Renshaw, A. E. & Haberman, S., 2003. "Lee-Carter mortality forecasting with age-specific enhancement," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 255-272, October.
- Chou-Wen Wang & Hong-Chih Huang & I-Chien Liu, 2011. "A Quantitative Comparison of the Lee-Carter Model under Different Types of Non-Gaussian Innovations," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(4), pages 675-696, October.
- Samuel H. Cox & Yijia Lin & Shaun Wang, 2006. "Multivariate Exponential Tilting and Pricing Implications for Mortality Securitization," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 719-736.
- Yijia Lin & Samuel H. Cox, 2005. "Securitization of Mortality Risks in Life Annuities," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 227-252.
- Chen, Hua & Cox, Samuel H. & Wang, Shaun S., 2010. "Is the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage in the United States sustainable? Evidence from pricing mortgage insurance premiums and non-recourse provisions using the conditional Esscher transform," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 371-384, April.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Lee, Yung-Tsung & Wang, Chou-Wen & Huang, Hong-Chih, 2012. "On the valuation of reverse mortgages with regular tenure payments," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 430-441.
- Kevin Dowd & David Blake & Andrew J. G. Cairns & Paul Dawson, 2006. "Survivor Swaps," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 1-17.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:52:y:2013:i:2:p:157-169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.