A maximum-entropy approach to the linear credibility formula
Payandeh [Payandeh Najafabadi, A.T., 2010. A new approach to credibility formula. Insurance: Mathematics and Economy 46, 334–338] introduced a new technique to approximate a Bayes’ estimator with the exact credibility’s form. This article employs a well known and powerful maximum-entropy method (MEM) to extend results of Payandeh Najafabadi (2010) to a class of linear credibility, whenever claim sizes have been distributed according to the logconcave distributions. Namely, (i) it employs the maximum-entropy method to approximate an appropriate Bayes’ estimator (with respect to either the square-error or the Linex loss functions and general increasing and bounded prior distribution) by a linear combination of claim sizes; (ii) it establishes that such an approximation coincides with the exact credibility formula whenever the require conditions for the exact credibility (see below) are held. Some properties of such an approximation are discussed. Application to crop insurance has been given.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Landsman, Zinoviy & Makov, Udi E., 1999. "Credibility evaluation for the exponential dispersion family," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 23-29, March.
- Landsman, Zinoviy, 2002. "Credibility theory: a new view from the theory of second order optimal statistics," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 351-362, June.
- Payandeh Najafabadi, Amir T., 2010. "A new approach to the credibility formula," MPRA Paper 21587, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 0020.
- Payandeh Najafabadi, Amir T., 2010. "A new approach to the credibility formula," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 334-338, April.
- Bagnoli, M. & Bergstrom, T., 1989.
"Log-Concave Probability And Its Applications,"
89-23, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Roderick M. Rejesus & Keith H. Coble & Thomas O. Knight & Yufei Jin, 2006. "Developing Experience-Based Premium Rate Discounts in Crop Insurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 409-419.
- Amir H. Darooneh, 2004. "Non-Life Insurance Pricing: Multi Agents Model," Papers cond-mat/0402239, arXiv.org.
- Boucher, Jean-Philippe & Denuit, Michel, 2008. "Credibility premiums for the zero-inflated Poisson model and new hunger for bonus interpretation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 727-735, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:51:y:2012:i:1:p:216-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.