Optimal investment strategy for annuity contracts under the constant elasticity of variance (CEV) model
This paper focuses on the constant elasticity of variance (CEV) model for studying the optimal investment strategy before and after retirement in a defined contribution pension plan where benefits are paid under the form of annuities; annuities are supposed to be guaranteed during a certain fixed period of time. Using Legendre transform, dual theory and variable change technique, we derive the explicit solutions for the power and exponential utility functions in two different periods (before and after retirement). Each solution contains a modified factor which reflects an investor's decision to hedge the volatility risk. In order to investigate the influence of the modified factor on the optimal strategy, we analyze the property of the modified factor. The results show that the dynamic behavior of the modified factor for the power utility mainly depends on the time and the investor's risk aversion coefficient, whereas it only depends on the time in the exponential case.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerrard, Russell & Haberman, Steven & Vigna, Elena, 2004. "Optimal investment choices post-retirement in a defined contribution pension scheme," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 321-342, October.
- Devolder, Pierre & Bosch Princep, Manuela & Dominguez Fabian, Inmaculada, 2003. "Stochastic optimal control of annuity contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Boulier, Jean-Francois & Huang, ShaoJuan & Taillard, Gregory, 2001. "Optimal management under stochastic interest rates: the case of a protected defined contribution pension fund," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 173-189, April.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew J. G. & Dowd, Kevin, 2003.
"Pensionmetrics 2: stochastic pension plan design during the distribution phase,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 29-47, August.
- David Blake & Andrew J. G. Cairns & Kevin Dowd, 2003. "Pensionmetrics 2: stochastic pension plan design during the distribution phase," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24830, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Haberman, Steven & Vigna, Elena, 2002. "Optimal investment strategies and risk measures in defined contribution pension schemes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 35-69, August.
- Hsu, Y.L. & Lin, T.I. & Lee, C.F., 2008. "Constant elasticity of variance (CEV) option pricing model: Integration and detailed derivation," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 60-71.
- Steven Haberman & Elena Vigna, 2002. "Optimal investment strategies and risk measures in defined contribution pension schemes," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 09-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Griselda Deelstra & Martino Grasselli & Pierre-François Koehl, 2004. "Optimal design of the guarantee for defined contribution funds," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7602, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Xiao, Jianwu & Hong, Zhai & Qin, Chenglin, 2007. "The constant elasticity of variance (CEV) model and the Legendre transform-dual solution for annuity contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 302-310, March.
- Albrecht, Peter & Maurer, Raimond, 2002. "Self-Annuitization, Consumption Shortfall in Retirement and Asset Allocation: The Annuity Benchmark," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 269-288, November.
- Munk, Claus & Sorensen, Carsten & Nygaard Vinther, Tina, 2004. "Dynamic asset allocation under mean-reverting returns, stochastic interest rates, and inflation uncertainty: Are popular recommendations consistent with rational behavior?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 141-166.
- Albrecht, Peter & Maurer, Raimond, 2001. "Self-Annuitization, Ruin Risk in Retirement and Asset Allocation: The Annuity Benchmark," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-35, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Jérôme Detemple & Weidong Tian, 2002. "The Valuation of American Options for a Class of Diffusion Processes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(7), pages 917-937, July.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Deelstra, Griselda & Grasselli, Martino & Koehl, Pierre-Francois, 2004. "Optimal design of the guarantee for defined contribution funds," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2239-2260, October.
- Jones, Christopher S., 2003. "The dynamics of stochastic volatility: evidence from underlying and options markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 181-224.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Schroder, Mark Douglas, 1989. " Computing the Constant Elasticity of Variance Option Pricing Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 211-19, March.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew J. G. & Dowd, Kevin, 2001. "Pensionmetrics: stochastic pension plan design and value-at-risk during the accumulation phase," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 187-215, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:45:y:2009:i:1:p:9-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.