Optimal investment strategies and risk measures in defined contribution pension schemes
In this paper, we analyse the investment allocation and the downside risk faced by the retiring member of a defined contribution pension scheme, where optimal investment strategies (derived from a dynamic programming approach) have been adopted. The behaviour of the optimal investment strategy is analysed when changing the disutility function and the correlation between the assets. Three different risk measures are considered in analysing the final net replacement ratios achieved by the member: the probability of failing the target, the mean shortfall and a Value at Risk type measure. The replacement ratios encompass the financial and annuitization risks faced by the retiree. We consider the relationship between the risk aversion of the member and these different risk measures in order to understand better the choices confronting different categories of scheme member. We consider the case of a 2 assets portfolio, where the asset returns are correlated and consider the sensitivity of the results to the level of the correlation coefficient.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Robert Bordley & Marco LiCalzi, 2000. "Decision analysis using targets instead of utility functions," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer;Associazione per la Matematica, vol. 23(1), pages 53-74.
- Vigna, Elena & Haberman, Steven, 2001. "Optimal investment strategy for defined contribution pension schemes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 233-262, April.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew J. G. & Dowd, Kevin, 2001. "Pensionmetrics: stochastic pension plan design and value-at-risk during the accumulation phase," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 187-215, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpmath:09-2002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.