Symmetric games with only asymmetric equilibria
It is known that not every symmetric game has a symmetric equilibrium because there are examples of symmetric games that fail to have any equilibria at all. But this leads to the following question: If a symmetric game has a Nash equilibrium, does it have a symmetric Nash equilibrium? In this Note, we show that the answer to this question is no by providing two examples of symmetric games that have only asymmetric equilibria.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Chun-Lei, 1994. "A simple extension of the Dasgupta-Maskin existence theorem for discontinuous games with an application to the theory of rent-seeking," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 181-183, June.
- Aumann, Robert J. & Sorin, Sylvain, 1989. "Cooperation and bounded recall," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 5-39, March.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Kats, Amoz & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1992.
"Unilaterally Competitive Games,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 21(3), pages 291-299.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414.
- Becker, Johannes Gerd & Damianov, Damian S., 2006. "On the existence of symmetric mixed strategy equilibria," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 84-87, January.
- Amir, Rabah & Garcia, Filomena & Knauff, Malgorzata, 2010. "Symmetry-breaking in two-player games via strategic substitutes and diagonal nonconcavity: A synthesis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1968-1986, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:gamebe:v:75:y:2012:i:1:p:424-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.