Can corporate tax shields explain the long-term borrowing behaviour of Chinese listed firms?
This paper tests whether or not the well-documented corporate tax shields explanation of capital structure is applicable to firms listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange over the period 2002-2007. A Tobit regression model is applied to examine this issue from a debt-capacity perspective. This is applied, first, in relation to all market sectors and then secondly, in relation to the manufacturing sector. It is found that Chinese firms' managers make commercially rational decisions in that they only borrow when the costs of borrowing are significantly lower than the returns generated. However, contrary to theoretical expectations, no evidence is found to indicate that listed firms in China make efficient use of tax shields. The tax shields, equivalent to several hundred billion US dollars per year, are out there, so why don't Chinese firms take advantage of them? This paper tentatively suggests that cultural attitudes towards borrowing and also high levels of government shareholdings can be considered as possible explanations. It is identified however that further research would be required in order to confirm this.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bany-Ariffin, A.N. & Mat Nor, Fauzias & McGowan Jr., Carl B., 2010. "Pyramidal structure, firm capital structure exploitation and ultimate owners' dominance," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 151-164, June.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Nyborg, Kjell G., 2006.
"The value of tax shields IS equal to the present value of tax shields,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 215-225, July.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Nyborg, Kjell G., 2005. "The value of tax shields IS equal to the present value of tax shields," Discussion Papers 2005/14, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Cooper, Ian & Nyborg, Kjell G, 2005. "The Value of Tax Shields IS Equal to the Present Value of Tax Shields," CEPR Discussion Papers 5182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Leland, Hayne E & Toft, Klaus Bjerre, 1996. " Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 987-1019, July.
- Hayne E. Leland and Klaus Bjerre Toft., 1995. "Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-259, University of California at Berkeley.
- Wu, Liansheng & Yue, Heng, 2009. "Corporate tax, capital structure, and the accessibility of bank loans: Evidence from China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 30-38, January.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1994. " Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1213-1252, September.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1994. "Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-233, University of California at Berkeley.
- Harjeet S. Bhabra & Tong Liu & Dogan Tirtiroglu, 2008. "Capital Structure Choice in a Nascent Market: Evidence from Listed Firms in China," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(2), pages 341-364, June.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Kyaw, NyoNyo Aung, 2010. "Capital structure, dividend policy, and multinationality: Theory versus empirical evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 140-150, March.
- John R. Graham, 2000. "How Big Are the Tax Benefits of Debt?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 1901-1941, October.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Veall, Michael R & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1994. "Goodness of Fit Measures in the Tobit Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(4), pages 485-499, November.
- Marc Deloof & Wouter Van Overfelt, 2008. "Were Modern Capital Structure Theories Valid in Belgium Before World War I?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(3-4), pages 491-515.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-275, May.
- Minguez-Vera, Antonio & Martin-Ugedo, Juan Francisco, 2007. "Does ownership structure affect value? A panel data analysis for the Spanish market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 81-98.
- Hodder, James E & Senbet, Lemma W, 1990. " International Capital Structure Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1495-1516, December.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-1460, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krishnan, V. Sivarama & Moyer, R. Charles, 1997. "Performance, capital structure and home country: An analysis of Asian corporations," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 129-143.
- de Miguel, Alberto & Pindado, Julio, 2001. "Determinants of capital structure: new evidence from Spanish panel data," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-99, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)