Energy consumption of cryptocurrency mining: A study of electricity consumption in mining cryptocurrencies
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- David Garcia & Claudio Juan Tessone & Pavlin Mavrodiev & Nicolas Perony, 2014. "The digital traces of bubbles: feedback cycles between socio-economic signals in the Bitcoin economy," Papers 1408.1494, arXiv.org.
- Gkillas, Konstantinos & Katsiampa, Paraskevi, 2018. "An application of extreme value theory to cryptocurrencies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 164(C), pages 109-111.
- Mattila, Juri, 2016. "The Blockchain Phenomenon – The Disruptive Potential of Distributed Consensus Architectures," ETLA Working Papers 38, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Phillip, Andrew & Chan, Jennifer S.K. & Peiris, Shelton, 2018. "A new look at Cryptocurrencies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 163(C), pages 6-9.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peng Xie & Jiming Wu & Hongwei Du, 2019. "The relative importance of competition to contagion: evidence from the digital currency market," Financial Innovation, Springer;Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, vol. 5(1), pages 1-19, December.
- Lin William Cong & Zhiguo He & Jiasun Li, 2019. "Decentralized Mining in Centralized Pools," NBER Working Papers 25592, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Das, Debojyoti & Dutta, Anupam, 2020. "Bitcoin’s energy consumption: Is it the Achilles heel to miner’s revenue?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 186(C).
- Oluwaseun Fadeyi & Ondrej Krejcar & Petra Maresova & Kamil Kuca & Peter Brida & Ali Selamat, 2019. "Opinions on Sustainability of Smart Cities in the Context of Energy Challenges Posed by Cryptocurrency Mining," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(1), pages 1-20, December.
- Daniele Bianchi & Massimo Guidolin & Manuela Pedio, 2020. "Dissecting Time-Varying Risk Exposures in Cryptocurrency Markets," BAFFI CAREFIN Working Papers 20143, BAFFI CAREFIN, Centre for Applied Research on International Markets Banking Finance and Regulation, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy.
- Ahl, A. & Yarime, M. & Goto, M. & Chopra, Shauhrat S. & Kumar, Nallapaneni Manoj. & Tanaka, K. & Sagawa, D., 2020. "Exploring blockchain for the energy transition: Opportunities and challenges based on a case study in Japan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 117(C).
More about this item
KeywordsCryptocurrency mining; PoW; Monero; Energy consumption; Carbon emission;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:energy:v:168:y:2019:i:c:p:160-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/energy .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.