Electricity regulation and electricity market reforms in China
The electricity industry of China has been in a process of reforms since the 1980s. This paper gives a review on the three main stages of reforms in China so as to trace out key features of various reform measures including those for power investment financing, the separation between government and power enterprises, and the division between power generation firms and power grids. The findings suggest that further regulatory change in China's electricity market reform is necessary when integration of the electricity markets and increased competition are paving the way ahead for a market-oriented structure. Prospective electricity regulation in the form of a strong legal system and effective institutions that protect market competition and promote appropriate incentives for efficiency are suggested in the paper.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xu, Shaofeng & Chen, Wenying, 2006. "The reform of electricity power sector in the PR of China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(16), pages 2455-2465, November.
- Yeoh, Boon-Siew & Rajaraman, Rajesh, 2004. "Electricity in China: The Latest Reforms," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 60-69, April.
- Yang, H., 2006. "Overview of the Chinese Electricity Industry and Its Current Issues," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0617, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Wang, J.H. & Ngan, H.W. & Engriwan, W. & Lo, K.L., 2007. "Performance based regulation of the electricity supply industry in Hong Kong: An empirical efficiency analysis approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 609-615, January.
- Andrews-Speed, Philip & Dow, Stephen, 2000. "Reform of China's electric power industry Challenges facing the government," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 335-347, May.
- Gnansounou, Edgard & Dong, Jun, 2004. "Opportunity for inter-regional integration of electricity markets: the case of Shandong and Shanghai in East China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(15), pages 1737-1751, October.
- Ngan, H.W. & Wang, J.H. & Engriwan, W. & Lo, K.L., 2006. "A feasible reform for the electricity supply industry in Hong Kong," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 2881-2890, November.