Portfolio concentration and closed-end fund discounts: Evidence from the China market
This paper provides an analysis of the determinants of the closed-end fund discount in Mainland China. We focus on the diversification level of closed-end funds as the investor clienteles for closed-end funds in Mainland China are different from other markets. Our empirical evidence shows that discount is strongly and negatively related to stock concentration as measured by the number of stocks in the fund or Herfindahl index. We also find the discount decreases with the dividend payout and turnover, suggesting that investors are willing to pay a higher price (lower discount) for a fund that pays more dividends and has higher turnover.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John A. Doukas & Nikolaos T. Milonas, 2004. "Investor Sentiment and the Closed-end Fund Puzzle: Out-of-sample Evidence," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(2), pages 235-266.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Holderness, Clifford G. & Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1993.
"Private benefits from block ownership and discounts on closed-end funds,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 263-291, June.
- Barclay, M.J. & Holderness, C.G. & Pontiff, J., 1991. "Private Benefits form Block Ownership and Discounts on Closed-end Funds," Papers 91-01, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Fuertes, Ana-Maria & Thomas, Dylan C., 2006. "Large market shocks and abnormal closed-end-fund price behaviour," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 2517-2535, September.
- Edwin J. Elton & Martin J. Gruber & Jeffrey A. Busse, 1998. "Do Investors Care About Sentiment?," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-028, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Jain, Ravi & Xia, Yihong & Wu, Matthew Qianli, 2004. "Illiquidity and Closed-End Country Fund Discounts," Working Papers 04-3, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Brickley, James A & Manaster, Steven & Schallheim, James, 1991. "The Tax-Timing Option and the Discounts on Closed-End Investment Companies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(3), pages 287-312, July.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
NBER Working Papers
11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- Kim, Chang-Soo, 1994. "Investor Tax-Trading Opportunities and Discounts on Closed-End Mutual Funds," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 65-75, Spring.
- Swaminathan, Bhaskaran, 1996. "Time-Varying Expected Small Firm Returns and Closed-End Fund Discounts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 845-87.
- Marcin Kacperczyk & Clemens Sialm & Lu Zheng, 2004.
"On the Industry Concentration of Actively Managed Equity Mutual Funds,"
NBER Working Papers
10770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcin Kacperczyk & Clemens Sialm & Lu Zheng, 2005. "On the Industry Concentration of Actively Managed Equity Mutual Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1983-2011, 08.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Busse, Jeffrey A, 1998. "Do Investors Care about Sentiment?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(4), pages 477-500, October.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Angel J. Ubide, 1998.
"Crises, Contagion, and the Closed: End Country Fund Puzzle,"
IMF Working Papers
98/143, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Angel Ubide, 2000. "Crises, Contagion, and the Closed-End Country Fund Puzzle," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(1), pages 3.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ememar:v:9:y:2008:i:2:p:129-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.