Synchronized dial-a-ride transportation of disabled passengers at airports
The largest airports have a daily average throughput of more than 500 passengers with reduced mobility. The problem of transporting these passengers is in some cases a multi-modal transportation problem with synchronization constraints. A description of the problem together with a mathematical model is presented. The objective is to schedule as many of the passengers as possible, while ensuring a smooth transport with short waiting times. A simulated annealing based heuristic for solving the problem is presented. The algorithm makes use of an abstract representation of a candidate solution which in each step is transformed to an actual schedule by use of a greedy heuristic. Local search is performed on the abstract representation using advanced neighborhoods which modify large parts of the candidate solution. Computational results show that the algorithm is able to find good solutions within a couple of minutes, making the algorithm applicable for dynamic scheduling. Moreover high-quality solutions can be obtained by running the algorithm for 10minutes.
Volume (Year): 225 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cortés, Cristián E. & Matamala, Martín & Contardo, Claudio, 2010. "The pickup and delivery problem with transfers: Formulation and a branch-and-cut solution method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(3), pages 711-724, February.
- Muller, Laurent Flindt & Spoorendonk, Simon & Pisinger, David, 2012. "A hybrid adaptive large neighborhood search heuristic for lot-sizing with setup times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(3), pages 614-623.
- Diana, Marco & Dessouky, Maged M., 2004. "A new regret insertion heuristic for solving large-scale dial-a-ride problems with time windows," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 539-557, July.
- Xiang, Zhihai & Chu, Chengbin & Chen, Haoxun, 2006. "A fast heuristic for solving a large-scale static dial-a-ride problem under complex constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1117-1139, October.
- Jaw, Jang-Jei & Odoni, Amedeo R. & Psaraftis, Harilaos N. & Wilson, Nigel H. M., 1986. "A heuristic algorithm for the multi-vehicle advance request dial-a-ride problem with time windows," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 243-257, June.
- Ioachim, Irina & Desrosiers, Jacques & Soumis, Francois & Belanger, Nicolas, 1999. "Fleet assignment and routing with schedule synchronization constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 75-90, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:1:p:106-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.