A rolling horizon approach for disruption management of railway rolling stock
This paper deals with real-time disruption management of rolling stock in passenger railway transportation. We describe a generic framework for dealing with disruptions of railway rolling stock schedules. The framework is presented as an online combinatorial decision problem, where the uncertainty of a disruption is modeled by a sequence of information updates. To decompose the problem and to reduce the computation time, we propose a rolling horizon approach: rolling stock decisions are only considered if they are within a certain time horizon from the time of rescheduling. The schedules are then revised as time progresses and new information becomes available. We extend an existing model for rolling stock scheduling to the specific requirements of the real-time situation, and we apply it in the rolling horizon framework. We perform computational tests on instances constructed from real-life cases of Netherlands Railways (NS), the main operator of passenger trains in the Netherlands. We explore the consequences of different settings of the approach for the trade-off between solution quality and computation time.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Potthoff, D. & Huisman, D. & Desaulniers, G., 2008. "Column generation with dynamic duty selection for railway crew rescheduling," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2008-28, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Huisman, D. & Kroon, L.G. & Lentink, R.M. & Vromans, M.J.C.M., 2005.
"Operations research in passenger railway transportation,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2005-16, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Dennis Huisman & Leo G. Kroon & Ramon M. Lentink & Michiel J. C. M. Vromans & Dennis Huisman & Leo G. Kroon & Ramon M. Lentink & Michiel J. C. M. Vromans, 2005. "Operations Research in passenger railway transportation," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(4), pages 467-497.
- Huisman, D. & Kroon, L.G. & Lentink, R.M. & Vromans, M.J.C.M., 2005. "Operations Research in Passenger Railway Transportation," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-023-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Jespersen-Groth, J. & Potthoff, D. & Clausen, J. & Huisman, D. & Kroon, L.G. & Maróti, G. & Nielsen, M.N., 2007. "Disruption management in passenger railway transportation," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2007-05, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Budai-Balke, G. & Maróti, G. & Dekker, R. & Huisman, D. & Kroon, L.G., 2007. "Re-scheduling in railways: the rolling stock balancing problem," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2007-21, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Suresh Chand & Vernon Ning Hsu & Suresh Sethi, 2002. "Forecast, Solution, and Rolling Horizons in Operations Management Problems: A Classified Bibliography," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 25-43, September.
- Kohl, Niklas & Larsen, Allan & Larsen, Jesper & Ross, Alex & Tiourine, Sergey, 2007. "Airline disruption managementâ€”Perspectives, experiences and outlook," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 149-162.
- Lingaya, Norbert & Cordeau, Jean-Françcois & Desaulniers, Guy & Desrosiers, Jacques & Soumis, Françcois, 2002. "Operational car assignment at VIA Rail Canada," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 755-778, November.
- Fioole, Pieter-Jan & Kroon, Leo & Maroti, Gabor & Schrijver, Alexander, 2006. "A rolling stock circulation model for combining and splitting of passenger trains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1281-1297, October.
- Törnquist, Johanna, 2007. "Railway traffic disturbance management--An experimental analysis of disturbance complexity, management objectives and limitations in planning horizon," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 249-266, March.
- Kroon, L.G. & Huisman, D. & Abbink, E.J.W. & Fioole, P-J. & Fischetti, M. & Maróti, G. & Schrijver, A. & Steenbeek, A. & Ybema, R., 2008. "The new Dutch timetable: The OR revolution," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2008-19, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:220:y:2012:i:2:p:496-509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.