Production scheduling with alternative process plans
This paper deals with a scheduling problem with alternative process plans that was motivated by a production of wire harnesses where certain parts can be processed manually or automatically by different types of machines. Only a subset of all the given activities will form the solution, so the decision whether the activity will appear in the final schedule has to be made during the scheduling process. The problem considered is an extension of the resource constrained project scheduling problem (RCPSP) with unary resources, positive and negative time-lags and sequence dependent setup times. We extend classic RCPSP problem by a definition of alternative branchings, represented by the Petri nets formalism allowing one to define alternatives and parallelism within one data structure. For this representation of the problem, an integer linear programming model is formulated and the reduction of the problem, using time symmetry mapping, is shown. Finally, a heuristic algorithm based on priority schedule construction with an unscheduling step is proposed for the nested version of the problem and it is used to solve the case study of the wire harnesses production.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salewski, Frank & Schirmer, Andreas & Drexl, Andreas, 1997. "Project scheduling under resource and mode identity constraints: Model, complexity, methods, and application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 88-110, October.
- Boctor, Fayez F., 1996. "A new and efficient heuristic for scheduling projects with resource restrictions and multiple execution modes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 349-361, April.
- Brucker, Peter & Drexl, Andreas & Mohring, Rolf & Neumann, Klaus & Pesch, Erwin, 1999. "Resource-constrained project scheduling: Notation, classification, models, and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 3-41, January.
- De Reyck, Bert & Herroelen, Willy, 1999. "The multi-mode resource-constrained project scheduling problem with generalized precedence relations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 538-556, December.
- Kis, Tamas, 2003. "Job-shop scheduling with processing alternatives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 307-332, December.
- Ulrich Dorndorf & Erwin Pesch & Toàn Phan-Huy, 2000. "A Time-Oriented Branch-and-Bound Algorithm for Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling with Generalised Precedence Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(10), pages 1365-1384, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:2:p:300-311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.