A Time-Oriented Branch-and-Bound Algorithm for Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling with Generalised Precedence Constraints
Resource-constrained project scheduling with generalised precedence constraints is a very general scheduling model with applications in areas such as make-to-order production planning. We describe a time-oriented branch-and-bound algorithm that uses constraint-propagation techniques which actively exploit the temporal and resource constraints of the problem in order to reduce the search space. Extensive computational experiments with systematically generated test problems show that the algorithm solves more problems to optimality than other exact solution procedures which have recently been proposed, and that the truncated version of the algorithm is also a very good heuristic.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salah E. Elmaghraby & Jerzy Kamburowski, 1992. "The Analysis of Activity Networks Under Generalized Precedence Relations (GPRs)," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(9), pages 1245-1263, September.
- Zhan, Ji, 1994. "Heuristics for scheduling resource-constrained projects in MPM networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 192-205, July.
- Brucker, Peter & Drexl, Andreas & Mohring, Rolf & Neumann, Klaus & Pesch, Erwin, 1999. "Resource-constrained project scheduling: Notation, classification, models, and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 3-41, January.
- J. Carlier & E. Pinson, 1989. "An Algorithm for Solving the Job-Shop Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(2), pages 164-176, February.
- F. Brian Talbot & James H. Patterson, 1978. "An Efficient Integer Programming Algorithm with Network Cuts for Solving Resource-Constrained Scheduling Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(11), pages 1163-1174, July.
- De Reyck, Bert & Herroelen, willy, 1998. "A branch-and-bound procedure for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem with generalized precedence relations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 152-174, November.