Efficiency analysis to incorporate interval-scale data
We develop an approach to efficiency analysis to enable us to incorporate interval-scale data in addition to ratio-scale data. Our approach introduces a measure of inefficiency and identifies efficient units as is done in Data Envelopment Analysis. The basic idea in our approach is to find the "best" hyperplane separating the units that are better and worse than each unit. "Best" is defined in such a way that the number of not-better units is maximal. The efficiency measure is defined as a proportion of not-better units to all units. The results are invariant under a strictly increasing linear re-scaling of any input- or output-variables. Thus zeroes or negative values do not cause problems for the analysis. The approach is used to analyze the data of the research evaluation exercise recently carried out at the University of Joensuu, Finland.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius, 1998. "Structural Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Objective Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 962-970, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Laurens Cherchye & Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post, 2000.
"New Tools for Dealing with Errors-in-Variables in DEA,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0006, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Timo KUOSMANEN & Thierry POST, 2000. "New Tools for Dealing with Errors-in-Variables in DEA," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0006, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Adler, Nicole & Friedman, Lea & Sinuany-Stern, Zilla, 2002. "Review of ranking methods in the data envelopment analysis context," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 249-265, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Pekka Korhonen & Sari Stenfors & Mikko Syrjänen, 2003. "Multiple Objective Approach as an Alternative to Radial Projection in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 305-321, November.
- Köksalan, Murat & Büyükbasaran, Tayyar & Özpeynirci, Özgür & Wallenius, Jyrki, 2010. "A flexible approach to ranking with an application to MBA Programs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 470-476, March.
- Murat Köksalan & Ceren Tuncer, 2009. "A Dea-Based Approach To Ranking Multi-Criteria Alternatives," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(01), pages 29-54.
- Halme, Merja & Joro, Tarja & Koivu, Matti, 2002. "Dealing with interval scale data in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 22-27, February.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Luptacik, Mikulas, 2004. "Eco-efficiency analysis of power plants: An extension of data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 437-446, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:207:y:2010:i:2:p:1116-1121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.