Selecting non-zero weights to evaluate effectiveness of basketball players with DEA
In this paper, we show how DEA may be used to identify component profiles as well as overall indices of performance in the context of an application to assessments of basketball players. We go beyond the usual uses of DEA to provide only overall indexes of performance. Our focus is, instead, on the multiplier values for the efficiently rated players. For this purpose we use a procedure that we recently developed that guarantees a full profile of non-zero weights, or "multipliers." We demonstrate how these values can be used to identify relative strengths and weaknesses in individual players. Here we also utilize the flexibility of DEA by introducing bounds on the allowable values to reflect the views of coaches, trainers and other experts on the basketball team for which evaluations are being conducted. Finally we show how these combinations can be extended by taking account of team as well as individual considerations.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zak, Thomas A & Huang, Cliff J & Siegfried, John J, 1979. "Production Efficiency: The Case of Professional Basketball," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 379-92, July.
- Takamura, Yoshiharu & Tone, Kaoru, 2003. "A comparative site evaluation study for relocating Japanese government agencies out of Tokyo," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 85-102, June.
- Angel Prieto & José ZofIo, 2001. "Evaluating Effectiveness in Public Provision of Infrastructure and Equipment: The Case of Spanish Municipalities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 41-58, January.
- Cooper, William W. & Ruiz, Jose L. & Sirvent, Inmaculada, 2007. "Choosing weights from alternative optimal solutions of dual multiplier models in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(1), pages 443-458, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lambrinos, James & Tyner, James, 2004. "Evaluating the performance of professional golfers on the PGA, LPGA and SPGA tours," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 548-561, April.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Ohnishi, Kenji & Kinase, Youichi, 1999. "A benchmark approach for baseball evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 429-448, June.
- Thomas Sexton & Herbert Lewis, 2003. "Two-Stage DEA: An Application to Major League Baseball," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 227-249, April.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:195:y:2009:i:2:p:563-574. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.