Solving knapsack problems with S-curve return functions
We consider the allocation of a limited budget to a set of activities or investments in order to maximize return from investment. In a number of practical contexts (e.g., advertising), the return from investment in an activity is effectively modeled using an S-curve, where increasing returns to scale exist at small investment levels, and decreasing returns to scale occur at high investment levels. We demonstrate that the resulting knapsack problem with S-curve return functions is NP-hard, provide a pseudo-polynomial time algorithm for the integer variable version of the problem, and develop efficient solution methods for special cases of the problem. We also discuss a fully-polynomial-time approximation algorithm for the integer variable version of the problem.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas L. Morin & Roy E. Marsten, 1976. "An Algorithm for Nonlinear Knapsack Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(10), pages 1147-1158, June.
- Gabriel R. Bitran & Arnoldo C. Hax, 1981. "Disaggregation and Resource Allocation Using Convex Knapsack Problems with Bounded Variables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 431-441, April.
- Leonard M. Lodish, 1971. "Callplan: An Interactive Salesman's Call Planning System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(4-Part-II), pages P25-P40, December.
- Andris A. Zoltners & Prabhakant Sinha, 1980. "Integer Programming Models for Sales Resource Allocation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(3), pages 242-260, March.
- Paul H. Zipkin, 1980. "Simple Ranking Methods for Allocation of One Resource," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(1), pages 34-43, January.
- Duncan M. Holthausen, Jr. & Gert Assmus, 1982. "Advertising Budget Allocation under Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(5), pages 487-499, May.
- Bretthauer, Kurt M. & Shetty, Bala, 2002. "The nonlinear knapsack problem - algorithms and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(3), pages 459-472, May.
- Andris A. Zoltners & Prabhakant Sinha & Philip S. C. Chong, 1979. "An Optimal Algorithm for Sales Representative Time Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(12), pages 1197-1207, December.
- Ginsberg, William, 1974. "The multiplant firm with increasing returns to scale," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 283-292, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:193:y:2009:i:2:p:605-615. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.