The analytic hierarchy process in medical and health care decision making: A literature review
This paper presents a literature review of the application of the analytic hierarchy process (AHP) to important problems in medical and health care decision making. The literature is classified by year of publication, health care category, journal, method of analyzing alternatives, participants, and application type. Very few articles were published prior to 1988 and the level of activity has increased to about three articles per year since 1997. The 50 articles reviewed were classified in seven categories: diagnosis, patient participation, therapy/treatment, organ transplantation, project and technology evaluation and selection, human resource planning, and health care evaluation and policy. The largest number of articles was found in the project and technology evaluation and selection category (14) with substantial activity in patient participation (9), therapy/treatment (8), and health care evaluation and policy (8). The AHP appears to be a promising support tool for shared decision making between patient and doctor, evaluation and selection of therapies and treatments, and the evaluation of health care technologies and policies. We expect that AHP research will continue to be an important component of health care and medical research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James S. Dyer, 1990. "A Clarification of "Remarks on the Analytic Hierarchy Process"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 274-275, March.
- Odynocki, Boris, 1983. "The forward and backward processes in health policy planning," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 146-155.
- Singpurwalla, Norah & Forman, Ernest & Zalkind, David, 1999. "Promoting shared health care decision making using the analytic hierarchy process," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 277-299, December.
- Hannan, Edward L. & O'Donnell, Josph & Freedland, Terry, 1981. "A priority assignment model for standards and conditions in a long term care survey," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 277-289.
- Ryan Cook, D. & Staschak, Sandra & Green, William T., 1990. "Equitable allocation of livers for orthotopic transplantation: An application of the Analytic Hierarchy process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 49-56, September.
- Thomas L. Saaty, 1990. "An Exposition of the AHP in Reply to the Paper "Remarks on the Analytic Hierarchy Process"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 259-268, March.
- James S. Dyer, 1990. "Remarks on the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 249-258, March.
- Kwak, N. K. & Lee, Chang W., 2002. "Business process reengineering for health-care system using multicriteria mathematical programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 447-458, July.
- Tarimcilar, M. Murat & Khaksari, Shahriar Z., 1991. "Capital budgeting in hospital management using the analytic hierarchy process," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 27-34.
- Robert L. Winkler, 1990. "Decision Modeling and Rational Choice: AHP and Utility Theory," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 247-248, March.
- Patrick T. Harker & Luis G. Vargas, 1990. "Reply to "Remarks on the Analytic Hierarchy Process" by J. S. Dyer," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 269-273, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:189:y:2008:i:1:p:194-207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.