Return handling options and order quantities for single period products
Products which are sold through E-commerce or mail sales catalogues tend to have a much higher return rate than traditional products. The returns are especially problematic for seasonal products. To support decision making in these situations we study various options, which may be considered as strategic decisions, on handling the increased return flow. Closed form analytic expressions for optimal order quantities are obtained by solving the models developed for each option. Decision making guidelines on choosing between return options and some properties of the optimal solutions are presented. We also discuss estimation of the serviceable return rate in practical situations.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott Webster & Z. Kevin Weng, 2000. "A Risk-free Perishable Item Returns Policy," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 100-106, July.
- Lau, Hon-Shiang & Lau, Amy Hing-Ling, 1997. "Reordering strategies for a newsboy-type product," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 557-572, December.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & Dekker, Rommert & van der Laan, Erwin & van Nunen, Jo A. E. E. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1997. "Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 1-17, November.
- George R. Murray, Jr. & Edward A. Silver, 1966. "A Bayesian Analysis of the Style Goods Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(11), pages 785-797, July.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Sang Hoon Chang & David E. Fyffe, 1971. "Estimation of Forecast Errors for Seasonal-Style-Goods Sales," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages B89-B96, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:151:y:2003:i:1:p:38-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.