Debt relief and adjustment effort in a multi-period model
This paper shows that if the period following the granting of debt relief is taken into account, debt relief increases adjustment effort(investment), irrespective of whether there is an initial debt overhang or not.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman, 1988.
"Voluntary Debt Reduction: Incentives and Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
2692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry, Peter B. & Arslanalp, Serkan, 2003.
"Helping the Poor to Help Themselves: Debt Relief or Aid?,"
1838, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Serkan Arslanalp & Peter Blair Henry, 2004. "Helping the Poor to Help Themselves: Debt Relief or Aid," NBER Working Papers 10230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hofman, Bert & Reisen, Helmut, 1990.
"Debt overhang, liquidity constraints and adjustment incentives,"
Kiel Working Papers
432, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bert Hofman & Helmut Reisen, 1990. "Debt Overhang, Liquidity Constraints and Adjustment Incentives," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 32, OECD Publishing.
- Hofman, Bert & Reisen, Helmut, 1990. "Debt overhang, liquidity constraints and adjustment incentives," Kiel Working Papers 432, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Philippe Callier, 1989. "Debt Relief and Adjustment Incentives in a Financially Open Economy: Comment on Corden," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 514-522, June.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1993. "Low Investment and Large LDC Debt in the 1980's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 437-49, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:91:y:2006:i:1:p:127-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.