Using house prices to compute the price of housing in the CPI
Rental-equivalence is often used in computing price changes of owner-occupied housing in the CPI. We use an alternative approach, employing interest-adjusted house prices. For Norway 2000-2008 our method yielded a 30% CPI-increase, compared to the official 17%.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raquel Arévalo & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2006. "On the Imputation of Rental Prices to Owner-occupied Housing," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(4), pages 830-861, 06.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty & Erling Røed Larsen & Dag Einar Sommervoll, 2005. "Measuring the Price of Housing Consumption for Owners in the CPI," Discussion Papers 427, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Erling Røed Larsen, 2007. "Does the CPI Mirror the Cost of Living? Engel's Law Suggests Not in Norway," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 109(1), pages 177-195, 03.
- Kevin X. D. Huang & Zheng Liu, 2004.
"Inflation targeting: what inflation rate to target?,"
04-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Huang, Kevin X.D. & Liu, Zheng, 2005. "Inflation targeting: What inflation rate to target?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1435-1462, November.
- Kevin X. D. Huang & Zheng Liu, 2003. "Inflation Targeting: What Inflation Rate to Target?," Emory Economics 0318, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Beatty, Timothy K.M. & Larsen, Erling Roed, 2004.
"Using Engel Curves To Estimate Bias In The Canadian Cpi As A Cost Of Living Index,"
15836, University of British Columbia, Food and Resource Economics.
- Timothy Beatty & Erling Røed Larsen, 2005. "Using Engel curves to estimate bias in the Canadian CPI as a cost of living index," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 482-499, May.
- Goodhart, Charles, 2001. "What Weight Should Be Given to Asset Prices in the Measurement of Inflation?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(472), pages F335-56, June.
- C. Goodhart, 2001. "What Weight Should be Given to Asset Prices in the Measurementof Inflation?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 65, Netherlands Central Bank.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521296762 is not listed on IDEAS
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2003.
"What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1058-1086, 09.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2003. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Scholarly Articles 3415322, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1984, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," NBER Working Papers 9375, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2002. "What measure of inflation should a central bank target?," Working Paper Series 0170, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:106:y:2010:i:3:p:238-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.