Sequentially complete markets remain incomplete
We show by means of an example that the result of Arrow [Arrow, K.J. (1953), Le rôle des valeurs boursières pour la répartition la meilleure des risques, Econométrie, 41-47, CNRS, Paris; translated as The role of securities in the optimal allocation of risk bearing, Review of Economic Studies, 31, 91-96] is problematic when there exist multiple equilibrium continuations to the initial-period component of an intertemporal equilibrium.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K, 1985.
"Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 433-53, March.
- Timothy J Kehoe & David K Levine, 1985. "Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1873, David K. Levine.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1982. "Comparitive Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," UCLA Economics Working Papers 259, UCLA Department of Economics.
- T. J. Kehoe & D. K. Levine, 1982. "Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," Working papers 312, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- CITANNA, Alessandro & CRES, Herve & DREZE, Jacques & HERINGS, Jean-Jacques & VILLANACCI, Antonio, 2001.
"Continua of underemployment equilibria reflecting coordination failures, also at Walrasian prices,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
732, HEC Paris.
- Citanna, Alessandro & Cres, Herve & Dreze, Jacques & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Villanacci, Antonio, 2001. "Continua of underemployment equilibria reflecting coordination failures, also at Walrasian prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 169-200, December.
- Alessandro Citanna & Hervé Crès & Jacques H. Drèze & Jean-Jacques Herings & Antonio Villanacci, 2001. "Continua of Underemployment Equilibria Reflecting Coordination Failures, Also at Walrasian Prices," Working Papers hal-00597197, HAL.
- Mandler Michael, 1995. "Sequential Indeterminacy in Production Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 406-436, August.
- Geanakoplos, John & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989.
"Real indeterminacy with financial assets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 22-38, February.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Michael Mandler, 2002. "Classical and Neoclassical Indeterminacy in One-shot Versus Ongoing Equilibria," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 203-222, 08.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David, 1989. "The Structure of Financial Equilibrium with Exogenous Yields: The Case of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 135-62, January.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii, 1999. "The Structure of Sunspot Equilibria: The Role of Multiplicity," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(3), pages 713-732.
- Hellwig, Martin F., 1983. "A note on the implementation of rational expectations equilibria," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 1-8.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1976. "Sequences of temporary equilibria, stationary point expectations, and Pareto efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 169-183, October.
- Felix Kubler & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2004. "Stationary Markov equilibria for overlapping generations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 24(3), pages 623-643, October.
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques, 1998. "On the existence of a continuum of constrained equilibria1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 257-273, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:100:y:2008:i:3:p:445-447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.