What Accounts for the Growth of Carbon Dioxide Emissions in Advanced and Emerging Economies? The Role of Consumption, Technology and Global Supply Chain Participation
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Marcel P. Timmer & Erik Dietzenbacher & Bart Los & Robert Stehrer & Gaaitzen J. Vries, 2015. "An Illustrated User Guide to the World Input–Output Database: the Case of Global Automotive Production," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 575-605, August.
- de Koning, Arjan & Bruckner, Martin & Lutter, Stephan & Wood, Richard & Stadler, Konstantin & Tukker, Arnold, 2015. "Effect of aggregation and disaggregation on embodied material use of products in input–output analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 289-299.
- Konstantin Stadler & Kjartan Steen-Olsen & Richard Wood, 2014. "The 'Rest Of The World' - Estimating The Economic Structure Of Missing Regions In Global Multi-Regional Input-Output Tables," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(3), pages 303-326, September.
- Arnaud Costinot & Dave Donaldson & Cory Smith, 2016.
"Evolving Comparative Advantage and the Impact of Climate Change in Agricultural Markets: Evidence from 1.7 Million Fields around the World,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 124(1), pages 205-248.
- Arnaud Costinot & Dave Donaldson & Cory B. Smith, 2014. "Evolving Comparative Advantage and the Impact of Climate Change in Agricultural Markets: Evidence from 1.7 Million Fields around the World," NBER Working Papers 20079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Bart Los, 2000. "Structural Decomposition Analyses with Dependent Determinants," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 497-514.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Bart Los, 1998. "Structural Decomposition Techniques: Sense and Sensitivity," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 307-324.
- Peters, Glen P., 2008. "From production-based to consumption-based national emission inventories," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 13-23, March.
- Wiedmann, Thomas, 2009. "A review of recent multi-region input-output models used for consumption-based emission and resource accounting," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 211-222, December.
- Manfred Lenzen & Lise-Lotte Pade & Jesper Munksgaard, 2004. "CO2 Multipliers in Multi-region Input-Output Models," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 391-412.
- Benno Ferrarini & David Hummels, 2014. "Asia and global production networks: implications for trade, incomes and economic vulnerability," Chapters, in: Benno Ferrarini & David Hummels (ed.), Asia and Global Production Networks, chapter 1, pages 1-15, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Marcel P. Timmer & Abdul Azeez Erumban & Bart Los & Robert Stehrer & Gaaitzen J. de Vries, 2014. "Slicing Up Global Value Chains," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 99-118, Spring.
- Arnold Tukker & Arjan de Koning & Richard Wood & Troy Hawkins & Stephan Lutter & Jose Acosta & Jose M. Rueda Cantuche & Maaike Bouwmeester & Jan Oosterhaven & Thomas Drosdowski & Jeroen Kuenen, 2013. "Exiopol - Development And Illustrative Analyses Of A Detailed Global Mr Ee Sut/Iot," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(1), pages 50-70, March.
- Meng, Bo & Peters, Glen P. & Wang, Zhi & Li, Meng, 2018. "Tracing CO2 emissions in global value chains," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 24-42.
- Kjartan Steen-Olsen & Anne Owen & Edgar G. Hertwich & Manfred Lenzen, 2014. "Effects Of Sector Aggregation On Co 2 Multipliers In Multiregional Input-Output Analyses," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(3), pages 284-302, September.
- Mark De Haan, 2001. "A Structural Decomposition Analysis of Pollution in the Netherlands," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 181-196.
- Nadim Ahmad & Andrew Wyckoff, 2003. "Carbon Dioxide Emissions Embodied in International Trade of Goods," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2003/15, OECD Publishing.
- Bart Los & Marcel P. Timmer & Gaaitzen J. De Vries, 2014. "The Demand for Skills 1995-2008: A Global Supply Chain Perspective," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1141, OECD Publishing.
- Johnson, Robert C. & Noguera, Guillermo, 2012. "Accounting for intermediates: Production sharing and trade in value added," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 224-236.
- Rutger Hoekstra & Bernhard Michel & Sangwon Suh, 2016. "The emission cost of international sourcing: using structural decomposition analysis to calculate the contribution of international sourcing to CO 2 -emission growth," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 151-167, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Filippo Bontadini & Francesco Vona, 2020. "Anatomy of Green Specialization: Evidence from EU Production Data, 1995-2015," Sciences Po publications 21, Sciences Po.
- Wang, H. & Ang, B.W. & Su, Bin, 2017. "A Multi-region Structural Decomposition Analysis of Global CO2 Emission Intensity," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(C), pages 163-176.
- Wang, Zhen & Wei, Liyuan & Niu, Beibei & Liu, Yong & Bin, Guoshu, 2017. "Controlling embedded carbon emissions of sectors along the supply chains: A perspective of the power-of-pull approach," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 206(C), pages 1544-1551.
- Li, Y.L. & Chen, B. & Chen, G.Q., 2020. "Carbon network embodied in international trade: Global structural evolution and its policy implications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 139(C).
- Yan, Yunfeng & Wang, Ran & Zheng, Xiuxiu & Zhao, Zhongxiu, 2020. "Carbon endowment and trade-embodied carbon emissions in global value chains: Evidence from China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 277(C).
- Sinha, Avik & Sengupta, Tuhin & Saha, Tanaya, 2020.
"Technology policy and environmental quality at crossroads: Designing SDG policies for select Asia Pacific countries,"
Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 161(C).
- Sinha, Avik & Sengupta, Tuhin & Saha, Tanaya, 2020. "Technology Policy and Environmental Quality at crossroads: Designing SDG policies for select Asia Pacific countries," MPRA Paper 104249, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2020.
- Jiang, Jingjing & Ye, Bin & Liu, Junguo, 2019. "Research on the peak of CO2 emissions in the developing world: Current progress and future prospect," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 235(C), pages 186-203.
- Zhang, Danyang & Wang, Hui & Löschel, Andreas & Zhou, Peng, 2021. "The changing role of global value chains in CO2 emission intensity in 2000–2014," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(C).
- Yan, Zheming & Zou, Baoling & Du, Kerui & Li, Ke, 2020. "Do renewable energy technology innovations promote China's green productivity growth? Fresh evidence from partially linear functional-coefficient models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(C).
- Gallemore, Caleb & Guisinger, Amy & Kruuse, Mikkel & Ruysschaert, Denis & Jespersen, Kristjan, 2018. "Escaping the “Teenage” Years: The Politics of Rigor and the Evolution of Private Environmental Standards," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 152(C), pages 76-87.
- Myriam BEN SAAD, 2017. "L’effet de la complexité économique sur la pollution de l’air : une autre approche de la courbe environnementale de Kuznets," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 46, pages 21-41.
- H. Wang & Chen Pan & P. Zhou, 2019. "Assessing the Role of Domestic Value Chains in China’s CO2 Emission Intensity: A Multi-Region Structural Decomposition Analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 74(2), pages 865-890, October.
- Duan, Yuwan & Yan, Bingqian, 2019. "Economic gains and environmental losses from international trade: A decomposition of pollution intensity in China's value-added trade," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 540-554.
- Sinha, Avik & Sengupta, Tuhin & Alvarado, Rafael, 2020. "Interplay between Technological Innovation and Environmental Quality: Formulating the SDG Policies for Next 11 Economies," MPRA Paper 104247, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2020.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Duan, Yuwan & Jiang, Xuemei, 2017. "Temporal Change of China's Pollution Terms of Trade and its Determinants," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 31-44.
- Ninpanit, Panittra & Malik, Arunima & Wakiyama, Takako & Geschke, Arne & Lenzen, Manfred, 2019. "Thailand’s energy-related carbon dioxide emissions from production-based and consumption-based perspectives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 133(C).
- Fernández-Amador, Octavio & Francois, Joseph F. & Tomberger, Patrick, 2016. "Carbon dioxide emissions and international trade at the turn of the millennium," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(C), pages 14-26.
- Piñero, Pablo & Heikkinen, Mari & Mäenpää, Ilmo & Pongrácz, Eva, 2015. "Sector aggregation bias in environmentally extended input output modeling of raw material flows in Finland," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 217-229.
- Eivind Lekve Bjelle & Johannes Többen & Konstantin Stadler & Thomas Kastner & Michaela C. Theurl & Karl-Heinz Erb & Kjartan-Steen Olsen & Kirsten S. Wiebe & Richard Wood, 2020. "Adding country resolution to EXIOBASE: impacts on land use embodied in trade," Journal of Economic Structures, Springer;Pan-Pacific Association of Input-Output Studies (PAPAIOS), vol. 9(1), pages 1-25, December.
- Marco Sakai & Anne Owen & John Barrett, 2017. "The UK’s Emissions and Employment Footprints: Exploring the Trade-Offs," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(7), pages 1-19, July.
- Pothen, Frank, 2017.
"A structural decomposition of global Raw Material Consumption,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(C), pages 154-165.
- Pothen, Frank, 2015. "A structural decomposition of global raw material consumption," ZEW Discussion Papers 15-035, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Eisenmenger, Nina & Wiedenhofer, Dominik & Schaffartzik, Anke & Giljum, Stefan & Bruckner, Martin & Schandl, Heinz & Wiedmann, Thomas O. & Lenzen, Manfred & Tukker, Arnold & Koning, Arjan, 2016. "Consumption-based material flow indicators — Comparing six ways of calculating the Austrian raw material consumption providing six results," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(C), pages 177-186.
- Peng, Shuijun & Zhang, Wencheng & Sun, Chuanwang, 2016. "‘Environmental load displacement’ from the North to the South: A consumption-based perspective with a focus on China," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(C), pages 147-158.
- Arunima Malik & Jun Lan, 2016. "The role of outsourcing in driving global carbon emissions," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 168-182, June.
- Chen, B. & Yang, Q. & Zhou, Sili & Li, J.S. & Chen, G.Q., 2017. "Urban economy's carbon flow through external trade: Spatial-temporal evolution for Macao," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 69-78.
- Gabriela Michalek & Reimund Schwarze, 2015. "Carbon leakage: pollution, trade or politics?," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 17(6), pages 1471-1492, December.
- Lin, Jianyi & Hu, Yuanchao & Zhao, Xiaofeng & Shi, Longyu & Kang, Jiefeng, 2017. "Developing a city-centric global multiregional input-output model (CCG-MRIO) to evaluate urban carbon footprints," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 460-466.
- Kaltenegger, Oliver & Löschel, Andreas & Pothen, Frank, 2017.
"The effect of globalisation on energy footprints: Disentangling the links of global value chains,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(S1), pages 148-168.
- Kaltenegger, Oliver & Löschel, Andreas & Pothe, Frank, 2017. "The effect of globalisation on energy footprints: Disentangling the links of global value chains," CAWM Discussion Papers 94, University of Münster, Center of Applied Economic Research Münster (CAWM).
- Kaltenegger, Oliver & Löschel, Andreas & Pothen, Frank, 2017. "The Effect of Globalisation on Energy Footprints: Disentangling the Links of Global Value Chains," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-587, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Roca, Jordi & Serrano, Monica, 2007.
"Income growth and atmospheric pollution in Spain: An input-output approach,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 230-242, June.
- Jordi Roca & Mònica Serrano, 2006. "Income growth and atmospheric pollution in Spain: an Input-Output approach," UHE Working papers 2006_04, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Departament d'Economia i Història Econòmica, Unitat d'Història Econòmica.
- Jordi Roca Jusmet & Monica Serrano Gutierrez, 2006. "Income Growth and Atmospheric Pollution in Spain: An Input-Output Approach," Working Papers in Economics 164, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Su, Bin & Ang, B.W., 2014. "Attribution of changes in the generalized Fisher index with application to embodied emission studies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 778-786.
- Zhou, Dequn & Zhou, Xiaoyong & Xu, Qing & Wu, Fei & Wang, Qunwei & Zha, Donglan, 2018. "Regional embodied carbon emissions and their transfer characteristics in China," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 180-193.
- Misato Sato, 2014.
"Embodied Carbon In Trade: A Survey Of The Empirical Literature,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 831-861, December.
- Misato Sato, 2012. "Embodied carbon in trade: a survey of the empirical literature," GRI Working Papers 77, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Guo, Ju’e & Zhang, Zengkai & Meng, Lei, 2012. "China’s provincial CO2 emissions embodied in international and interprovincial trade," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 486-497.
- Ferrarini , Benno & de Vries , Gaaitzen J., 2015. "What Accounts for the Growth of Carbon Dioxide Emissions in Advanced and Emerging Economies? The Role of Consumption, Technology, and Global Supply Chain Trade," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 458, Asian Development Bank.
More about this item
KeywordsCO2 emissions; Global supply chains; Global Multi-Regional Input-Output Model; Structural decomposition analysis;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:132:y:2017:i:c:p:213-223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nithya Sathishkumar). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolecon .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.