Why use Markov-switching models in exchange rate prediction?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002.
"Fear of Floating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 379-408.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000. "Fear of Floating," NBER Working Papers 7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002. "Fear of floating," MPRA Paper 14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2001. "Fear of Floating: Exchange Rate Flexibility Indices," MPRA Paper 13196, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Engel, Charles, 1994.
"Can the Markov switching model forecast exchange rates?,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 151-165, February.
- Charles Engel, 1991. "Can the Markov switching model forecast exchange rates?," Research Working Paper 91-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Charles Engel, 1992. "Can the Markov Switching Model Forecast Exchange Rates?," NBER Working Papers 4210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ya-Hwei Yang & Jia-Dong Shea, 2005. "Deflation and Monetary Policy in Taiwan," NBER Working Papers 11244, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kirikos, Dimitris G, 2002. "Discrete Policy Interventions and Rational Forecast Errors in Foreign Exchange Markets: The Uncovered Interest Parity Hypothesis Revisited," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(4), pages 327-338, October.
- Dimitris Kirikos, 2000. "Forecasting exchange rates out of sample: random walk vs Markov switching regimes," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 133-136.
- Kim, Chang-Jin, 1994. "Dynamic linear models with Markov-switching," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 1-22.
- Kirikos, Dimitris G., 2004. "A Reconsideration of Uncovered Interest Rate Parity under Switching Policy Regimes," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 57(2), pages 125-144.
- Engel, Charles & Hamilton, James D, 1990. "Long Swings in the Dollar: Are They in the Data and Do Markets Know It?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 689-713, September.
- Evans, George W, 1991. "Pitfalls in Testing for Explosive Bubbles in Asset Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 922-930, September.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Michael Frömmel, 2010.
"Volatility Regimes in Central and Eastern European Countries’ Exchange Rates,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(1), pages 2-21, February.
- Frömmel, Michael, 2006. "Volatility Regimes in Central and Eastern European Countries' Exchange Rates," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-333, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- M. Frömmel, 2007. "Volatility Regimes in Central and Eastern European Countries’ Exchange Rates," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/487, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Moerman, G.A., 2001. "Unpredictable After All? A short note on exchange rate predictability," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-29-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Dmitry Kulikov, 2012. "Testing for Rational Speculative Bubbles on the Estonian Stock Market," Research in Economics and Business: Central and Eastern Europe, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology, vol. 4(1).
- Michael Frömmel & Darko B. Vukovic & Jinyuan Wu, 2022. "The Dollar Exchange Rate, Adjustment to the Purchasing Power Parity, and the Interest Rate Differential," Mathematics, MDPI, vol. 10(23), pages 1-17, November.
- Luke Lin & Chun I. Lee, 2016. "Central Bank Intervention, Exchange Rate Regime and the Purchasing Power Parity," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(8), pages 1256-1274, August.
- Sarno, Lucio & Valente, Giorgio, 2006. "Deviations from purchasing power parity under different exchange rate regimes: Do they revert and, if so, how?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3147-3169, November.
- Michał Rubaszek & Paweł Skrzypczyński & Grzegorz Koloch, 2010.
"Forecasting the Polish Zloty with Non-Linear Models,"
Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 151-167, March.
- Michal Rubaszek & Pawel Skrzypczynski & Grzegorz Koloch, 2011. "Forecasting the Polish zloty with non-linear models," NBP Working Papers 81, Narodowy Bank Polski, Economic Research Department.
- Robert Dixon & Zhichao Zhang & Yang Dai, 2016. "Exchange Rate Flexibility in China: Measurement, Regime Shifts and Driving Forces of Change," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 875-892, November.
- Frommel, Michael & MacDonald, Ronald & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2005.
"Do fundamentals matter for the D-Mark/Euro-Dollar? A regime switching approach,"
Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 321-335, February.
- Frömmel, Michael & MacDonald, Ronald & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2003. "Do Fundamentals Matter for the D-Mark/Euro-Dollar? A Regime Switching Approach," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-289, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Beyaert, Arielle & Garcia-Solanes, Jose & Perez-Castejon, Juan J., 2007. "Uncovered interest parity with switching regimes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 189-202, March.
- Yuan, Chunming, 2011.
"Forecasting exchange rates: The multi-state Markov-switching model with smoothing,"
International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 342-362, April.
- Chunming Yuan, 2008. "Forecasting Exchange Rates: The Multi-State Markov-Switching Model with Smoothing," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 09-115, UMBC Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2009.
- Bazdresch, Santiago & Werner, Alejandro, 2005. "Regime switching models for the Mexican peso," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 185-201, January.
- Edoardo Otranto, 2005. "The multi-chain Markov switching model," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 523-537.
- Chih-Nan Chen & Chien-Hsiu Lin, 2022. "Optimal carry trade portfolio choice under regime shifts," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 59(2), pages 483-506, August.
- Fiess, Norbert & Shankar, Rashmi, 2009. "Determinants of exchange rate regime switching," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 68-98, February.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Siew-Voon Soon & Mark E. Wohar, 2021. "Phillips Curve for the Asian Economies: A Nonlinear Perspective," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 57(12), pages 3508-3537, September.
- Chen, Shiu-Sheng, 2006.
"Revisiting the interest rate-exchange rate nexus: a Markov-switching approach,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 208-224, February.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen, 2003. "Revisiting the Interest Rate-Exchange Rate Nexus: A Markov Switching Approach," International Finance 0303002, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Apr 2003.
- T. G. Saji, 2019. "Can BRICS Form a Currency Union? An Analysis under Markov Regime-Switching Framework," Global Business Review, International Management Institute, vol. 20(1), pages 151-165, February.
- Chao-Chun Chen & Wen-Jen Tsay, 2007. "Estimating Markov-Switching ARMA Models with Extended Algorithms of Hamilton," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 07-A009, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Chung-Ming Kuan, 2013. "Markov switching model (in Russian)," Quantile, Quantile, issue 11, pages 13-40, December.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:23:y:2006:i:4:p:662-668. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411 .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.