Graphical methods for investigating the finite-sample properties of confidence regions
No satisfactory method for measuring and presenting the performance of confidence regions can be found in the literature. Techniques for measuring the effectiveness of confidence regions and for the graphical display of simulation evidence regarding the coverage and effectiveness of confidence regions are developed and illustrated. Three types of figures are discussed: called coverage plots, coverage discrepancy plots, and coverage effectiveness curves, which makes it possible to show the "genuine" effectiveness, rather than a spurious nominal effectiveness. These figures are used to illustrate the finite sample properties of autoregressive parameter confidence regions in the context of AR(1) processes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miao, Weiwen & Chiou, Paul, 2008. "Confidence intervals for the difference between two means," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 2238-2248, January.
- Su, Steve, 2009. "Confidence intervals for quantiles using generalized lambda distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(9), pages 3324-3333, July.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2006.
"The power of bootstrap and asymptotic tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 421-441, August.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1994. "Bootstrap-based critical values for the information matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 395-411, April.
- Gregory, Allan W & Veall, Michael R, 1985. "Formulating Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1465-68, November.
- Chung, Hie-Choon & Han, Chien-Pai, 2009. "Conditional confidence intervals for classification error rate," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 4358-4369, October.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1999.
"The Grid Bootstrap And The Autoregressive Model,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 594-607, November.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Lutz Kilian, 2000.
"Recent developments in bootstrapping time series,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 1-48.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1996.
"The Size Distorsion of Bootstrap Tests,"
96a15, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Lee, A. J. & Nyangoma, S. O. & Seber, G. A. F., 2002. "Confidence regions for multinomial parameters," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 329-342, May.
- Tang, Man-Lai & Tian, Maozai, 2009. "Asymptotic confidence interval construction for risk difference under inverse sampling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 621-631, January.
- Arteche, Josu & Orbe, Jesus, 2009. "Using the bootstrap for finite sample confidence intervals of the log periodogram regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1940-1953, April.
- Xu, Jin & Gupta, Arjun K., 2006. "Improved confidence regions for a mean vector under general conditions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 1051-1062, November.
- Wang, Hongkun & Zhao, Yichuan, 2009. "A comparison of some confidence intervals for the mean quality-adjusted lifetime with censored data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 2733-2739, May.
- Gonzalez, Juan R. & Peña, Edsel A. & Delicado, Pedro, 2010. "Confidence intervals for median survival time with recurrent event data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 78-89, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:2:p:262-271. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.