Investment in site-specific crop management under uncertainty: implications for nitrogen pollution control and environmental policy
This paper applies an option-pricing model to analyze the impact of uncertainty about output prices and expectations of declining fixed costs on the optimal timing of investment in site-specific crop management (SSCM). It also analyzes the extent to which the level of spatial variability in soil conditions can mitigate the value of waiting to invest in SSCM and influence the optimal timing of adoption and create a preference for custom hiring rather than owner purchase of equipment. Numerical simulations show that while the net present value (NPV) rule predicts that immediate adoption is profitable under most of the soil conditions considered here, recognition of the option value of investment indicates that it is preferable to delay investment in SSCM for at least 3 years unless average soil quality is high and the variability in soil quality and fertility is high. The use of the option value approach reveals that the value of waiting to invest in SSCM raises the cost-share subsidy rates required to induce immediate adoption above the levels indicated by the NPV rule. © 2000 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Winter-Nelson & Koffi Amegbeto, 1998. "Option Values to Conservation and Agricultural Price Policy: Application to Terrace Construction in Kenya," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 409-418.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Gary Kachanoski, 1999. "Economic Feasibility of Variable-Rate Technology for Nitrogen on Corn," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 914-927.
- Watkins, K. Bradley & Lu, Yao-Chi & Huang, Wen-Yuan, 1998. "Economic And Environmental Feasibility Of Variable Rate Nitrogen Fertilizer Application With Carry-Over Effects," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Pautsch, Gregory R., 1998.
"Moving from Uniform to Variable Fertilizer Rates on Iowa Corn: Effects on Rates and Returns,"
Staff General Research Papers
1121, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Pautsch, Gregory R., 1998. "Moving From Uniform To Variable Fertilizer Rates On Iowa Corn: Effects On Rates And Returns," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Gregory R. Pautsch, 1997. "Moving from Uniform to Variable Fertilizer Rates on Iowa Corn: Effects on Rates and Returns," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 97-wp182, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Ray, Daryll E. & Richardson, James W. & Torre Ugarte, Daniel de la & Tiller, Kelly, 1998. "Estimating Price Variability In Agriculture: Implications For Decision Makers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:24:y:2000:i:1:p:9-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.