Determinants of corporate social disclosure: Empirical evidence from Bangladesh
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Haniffa, R.M. & Cooke, T.E., 2005. "The impact of culture and governance on corporate social reporting," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 391-430.
- Arifur Khan & Mohammad Muttakin & Javed Siddiqui, 2013. "Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosures: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 207-223, May.
- Shahzad Uddin & Jamal Choudhury, 2008. "Rationality, traditionalism and the state of corporate governance mechanisms: Illustrations from a less-developed country," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(7), pages 1026-1051, September.
- Joern H. Block & Marcus Wagner, 2014. "The Effect of Family Ownership on Different Dimensions of Corporate Social Responsibility: Evidence from Large US Firms," Business Strategy and the Environment, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(7), pages 475-492, November.
- Gul, Ferdinand A. & Leung, Sidney, 2004. "Board leadership, outside directors' expertise and voluntary corporate disclosures," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 351-379.
- Ataur Rahman Belal & David L. Owen, 2007. "The views of corporate managers on the current state of, and future prospects for, social reporting in Bangladesh: An engagement-based study," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 472-494, June.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Patten, Dennis M., 2002. "The relation between environmental performance and environmental disclosure: a research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 763-773, November.
- Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2003. "Environmental reporting management: a continental European perspective," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 43-62.
- Dye, Ra & Sridhar, Ss, 1995. "Industry-Wide Disclosure Dynamics," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 157-174.
- Carmelo Reverte, 2009. "Determinants of Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosure Ratings by Spanish Listed Firms," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(2), pages 351-366, August.
- Chau, Gerald K. & Gray, Sidney J., 2002. "Ownership structure and corporate voluntary disclosure in Hong Kong and Singapore," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 247-265.
- Denis Cormier & Michel Magnan & Barbara Van Velthoven, 2005. "Environmental disclosure quality in large German companies: Economic incentives, public pressures or institutional conditions?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 3-39.
- Nor Hawani Wan Abd Rahman & Mustaffa Mohamed Zain & Norashfah Hanim Yaakop Yahaya Al-Haj, 2011. "CSR disclosures and its determinants: evidence from Malaysian government link companies," Social Responsibility Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 181-201, July.
- Neu, D. & Warsame, H. & Pedwell, K., 1998. "Managing public impressions: environmental disclosures in annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-282, April.
- Omar Al Farooque & Tony Van Zijl & Keitha Dunstan & AKM Waresul Karim, 2007. "Corporate Governance in Bangladesh: Link between Ownership and Financial Performance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1453-1468, November.
- Teoh, Hai-Yap & Thong, Gregory, 1984. "Another look at corporate social responsibility and reporting: An empirical study in a developing country," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-206, June.
- Rob Gray & Mohammed Javad & David M. Power & C. Donald Sinclair, 2001. "Social and Environmental Disclosure and Corporate Characteristics: A Research Note and Extension," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3-4), pages 327-356.
- Muhammad Azizul Islam & Craig Deegan, 2008. "Motivations for an organisation within a developing country to report social responsibility information: Evidence from Bangladesh," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(6), pages 850-874, August.
- Ainul Islam & Mohammed Khaled, 2005. "Tests of Weak-Form Efficiency of the Dhaka Stock Exchange," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1613-1624.
- R.M. Haniffa & T. E. Cooke, 2002. "Culture, Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Malaysian Corporations," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(3), pages 317-349, October.
- Roberts, Robin W., 1992. "Determinants of corporate social responsibility disclosure: An application of stakeholder theory," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 595-612, August.
- Patten, Dennis M., 1992. "Intra-industry environmental disclosures in response to the Alaskan oil spill: A note on legitimacy theory," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 471-475, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Yang & Zhang, Yifei, 2020. "Do state subsidies increase corporate environmental spending?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 72(C).
- Frank Sampong & Na Song & Kingsley Osei Boahene & Kwame Ansong Wadie, 2018. "Disclosure of CSR Performance and Firm Value: New Evidence from South Africa on the Basis of the GRI Guidelines for Sustainability Disclosure," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(12), pages 1-28, November.
- Ignacio J. Duran & Pablo Rodrigo, 2018. "Why Do Firms in Emerging Markets Report? A Stakeholder Theory Approach to Study the Determinants of Non-Financial Disclosure in Latin America," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(9), pages 1-20, August.
- Nahg Abdul Majid Alawi & Azhar Abdul Rahman & Azlan Amran & Mehran Nejati, 2016. "Does family group affiliation matter in CSR reporting? Evidence from Yemen," Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(1), pages 12-30.
- Jacob Cherian & Muhammad Safdar Sial & Dang Khoa Tran & Jinsoo Hwang & Thai Hong Thuy Khanh & Mansoor Ahmed, 2020. "The Strength of CEOs’Influence on CSR in Chinese listed Companies. New Insights from an Agency Theory Perspective," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(6), pages 1-13, March.
- Sadaf Ehsan & Mian Sajid Nazir & Mohammad Nurunnabi & Qasim Raza Khan & Samya Tahir & Ishfaq Ahmed, 2018. "A Multimethod Approach to Assess and Measure Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosure and Practices in a Developing Economy," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(8), pages 1-18, August.
- Monika Kansal & Mahesh Joshi & Shekar Babu & Sharad Sharma, 2018. "Reporting of Corporate Social Responsibility in Central Public Sector Enterprises: A Study of Post Mandatory Regime in India," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 151(3), pages 813-831, September.
- Ali Mustafa Magablih, 2017. "The Reflection of Social Responsibility Accounting Application in the Insurance Companies-Jordan to Increase Their Earnings," International Journal of Economics and Finance, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 9(7), pages 242-251, July.
- Teresa Herrador-Alcaide & Montserrat Hernández-Solís, 2019. "Empirical Study Regarding Non-Financial Disclosure for Social Conscious Consumption in the Spanish E-Credit Market," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(3), pages 1-26, February.
- Melita Mehjabeen, 2020. "Comparative Analysis of the Dominant Themes in CSR Reporting Discourse in Bangladesh: A Structured Literature Review," GATR Journals afr184, Global Academy of Training and Research (GATR) Enterprise.
- María Inmaculada Alonso Carrillo & Alba María Priego De La Cruz & Montserrat Nuñez Chicharro, 2019. "The Impact of Corporate Governance on Corruption Disclosure in European Listed Firms through the Implementation of Directive 2014/95/EU," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(22), pages 1-21, November.
- Hui-Cheng Yu & Lopin Kuo & Beiling Ma, 2020. "The Drivers of Corporate Water Disclosure in Enhancing Information Transparency," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Mohammad Badrul Muttakin & Arifur Khan & Dessalegn Getie Mihret, 2018. "The Effect of Board Capital and CEO Power on Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosures," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 41-56, June.
More about this item
KeywordsCorporate social disclosure; Legitimacy theory; Bangladesh;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:advacc:v:30:y:2014:i:1:p:168-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.elsevier.com/advances-in-accounting/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.