What Drives Quality of Firm Risk Disclosure?
This paper examines the impact of a detailed national disclosure standard on the quality of firms' overall risk reviews under IFRS. We use data from a sample of listed Finnish firms around the introduction of the standard and find that national regulatory bodies have been able to raise the quality of risk disclosure on several dimensions even under IFRS. We find increases in the quantity of risk disclosure with more extensive and more comprehensive information. We do not, however, find a corresponding increase in quantitative disclosures and therefore there is some question regarding the influence of the standard on the substance of the risk information provided. In addition to the coercive effect of the standard, several important reporting incentives, such as firm size, profitability, and foreign listing status are documented. We also find some evidence that the impact of the standard on quality is more pronounced among less profitable firms. Additional findings are that larger firms and firms reporting under the requirements of the SEC disclose more quantitative risk information, and that the quality improvements are permanent in the subsequent years. The findings have implications for standard-setters evaluating different strategies with the aim to increase the quality of the narratives in annual reports.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620179|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Begoña Giner Inchausti, 1997. "The influence of company characteristics and accounting regulation on information disclosed by Spanish firms," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 45-68, May.
- Gary K Meek & Clare B Roberts & Sidney J Gray, 1995. "Factors Influencing Voluntary Annual Report Disclosures By U.S., U.K. and Continental European Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 26(3), pages 555-572, September.
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Eng, L. L. & Mak, Y. T., 2003. "Corporate governance and voluntary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-345.
- Kanto, Antti J. & Schadewitz, Hannu J., 1997. "A multidimensional model for the disclosure policy of a firm," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 229-249, September.
- Christian Leuz, 2000.
"The Development Of Voluntary Cash Flow Statements In Germany And The Influence Of International Reporting Standards,"
Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr),
LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 52(2), pages 182-207, April.
- Christian Leuz, 1999. "The Development of Voluntary Cash Flow Statements in Germany and the Influence of International Reporting Standards," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 40, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Christina Dargenidou & Stuart McLeay & Ivana Raonic, 2006. "Expected earnings growth and the cost of capital: an analysis of accounting regime change in the European financial market," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 42(3-4), pages 388-414.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Andrew Marshall & Pauline Weetman, 2007. "Modelling Transparency in Disclosure: The Case of Foreign Exchange Risk Management," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(5-6), pages 705-739.
- Botosan, Christine A., 2004. "Discussion of a framework for the analysis of firm risk communication," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 289-295.
- Stephen Brammer & Stephen Pavelin, 2006. "Voluntary Environmental Disclosures by Large UK Companies," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(7-8), pages 1168-1188.
- Ball, Ray & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2005. "Earnings quality in UK private firms: comparative loss recognition timeliness," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 83-128, February.
- Ball, Ray & Robin, Ashok & Wu, Joanna Shuang, 2003. "Incentives versus standards: properties of accounting income in four East Asian countries," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-3), pages 235-270, December.
- Antti Miihkinen, 2008. "Efficiency of authoritative disclosure recommendations: Evidence from IFRS transition disclosure in Finland," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 384-413, November.
- Troberg, Pontus & Kinnunen, Juha & Seppänen, Harri J., 2010. "What drives cross-segment diversity in returns and risks? Evidence from Japanese and U.S. firms," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 44-76, March.
- Fabrizio Cerbioni & Antonio Parbonetti, 2007. "Exploring the Effects of Corporate Governance on Intellectual Capital Disclosure: An Analysis of European Biotechnology Companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 791-826.
- repec:bla:joares:v:31:y:1993:i:2:p:246-271 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Leuz, 2003. "IAS Versus U.S. GAAP: Information Asymmetry-Based Evidence from Germany's New Market," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 445-472, 06.
- Annalisa Prencipe, 2004. "Proprietary costs and determinants of voluntary segment disclosure: evidence from Italian listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 319-340.
- Beretta, Sergio & Bozzolan, Saverio, 2004. "A framework for the analysis of firm risk communication," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 265-288.
- Philip M. Linsley, 2007. "Risk reporting by the largest UK companies: readability and lack of obfuscation," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 620-627, July.
- Verrecchia, Robert E., 1983. "Discretionary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 179-194, April.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Beretta, Sergio & Bozzolan, Saverio, 2004. "Reply to: Discussions of "A framework for the analysis of firm risk communication"," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 303-305.
- Dobler, Michael, 2008. "Incentives for risk reporting -- A discretionary disclosure and cheap talk approach," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 184-206.
- Michael Spence, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-374. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:accoun:v:47:y:2012:i:4:p:437-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.