Competitive Environment Hypothesis in Turkish Banking System
TThis paper investigates the persistence of profit in Turkish banking system for the period of 2004:1 – 2009:4 by focusing net income after tax to total equity (ROE) as profit measures by utilizing panel unit root tests. We found that competition among surviving banks is high in the Turkish Banking System for the period 2004:1 – 2009:4 which means that competitive environment hypothesis is valid in Turkish banking system.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Goddard & Phil Molyneux & John O. S. Wilson, 2004. "The profitability of european banks: a cross-sectional and dynamic panel analysis," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(3), pages 363-381, 06.
- Glen, Jack & Lee, Kevin & Singh, Ajit, 2001. "Persistence of profitability and competition in emerging markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 247-253, August.
- Geroski, Paul A & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "The Persistence of Profits: A European Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 375-389, June.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- Mariarosaria Agostino & Leone Leonida & Francesco Trivieri, 2005. "Profits persistence and ownership: evidence from the Italian banking sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(14), pages 1615-1621.
- Jan Bentzen & Erik Madsen & Valdemar Smith & Mogens Dilling-Hansen, 2005.
"Persistence in Corporate Performance? Empirical Evidence from Panel Unit Root Tests,"
Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 217-230, 06.
- Bentzen, Jan & Madsen, Erik Strøjer & Smith, Valdemar & Dilling-Hansen, Mogens, 2004. "Persistence in Corporate Performance? - Empirical Evidence from Panel Unit Root Tests," Working Papers 04-15, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Phil & Wilson, John O S, 2004. "Dynamics of Growth and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 1069-1090, December.
- Eralp Bektas, 2007. "The persistence of profits in the Turkish banking system," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 187-190.
- Mueller, Dennis C, 1977. "The Persistence of Profits above the Norm," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(176), pages 369-380, November.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003. "Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2004. "Persistence of firm-level profitability in Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 615-625.
- Jack Glen & Kevin Lee & Ajit Singh, 2003. "Corporate profitability and the dynamics of competition in emerging markets: a time series analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages 465-484, November.
- Jack Glen & Kevin Lee & Ajit Singh, 2002. "Corporate profitability and the dynamics of competition in emerging markets: a time series analysis," Working Papers wp248, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge.
- John Cable & Richard Jackson, 2008. "The Persistence of Profits in the Long Run: A New Approach," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 229-244.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002. "Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.