Firm Size and Capital Structure Decisions: Evidence From Turkish Lodging Companies
Aim of this study is to investigate the role of firm size on capital structure decisions of Turkish lodging companies. In this context, a survey questionnaire is developed and sent to unquoted Turkish lodging companies. 163 lodging companies answered the survey and they are classified according to their sizes. Empirical findings reveal that firm size is a significant factor for capital structure decisions of Turkish lodging companies. Firm size seems to affect lodging companies in using incentives, issuing common stock, using personal debt and determining target debt ratio. Most of the empirical findings seem to support pecking order theory.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suzan Hol & Nico van der Wijst, 2006. "The financing structure of non-listed firms," Discussion Papers 468, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Fattouh, Bassam & Scaramozzino, Pasquale & Harris, Laurence, 2005.
"Capital structure in South Korea: a quantile regression approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 231-250, February.
- Fattouh, Bassam & Pasquale Scaramozzino & Laurence Hariss, 2002. "Capital structure in South Korea: A Quantile Regression Approach," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 70, Royal Economic Society.
- Bassam Fattouh & Laurence Harris & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2003. "Capital Structure in South Korea: A Quantile Regression Approach," CEIS Research Paper 40, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Huang, Guihai & Song, Frank M., 2006. "The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 14-36.
- Vivien Beattie & Alan Goodacre & Sarah Jane Thomson, 2006. "Corporate Financing Decisions: UK Survey Evidence," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(9-10), pages 1402-1434.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002. "Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, "undated". "Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”," CRSP working papers 506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Deesomsak, Rataporn & Paudyal, Krishna & Pescetto, Gioia, 2004. "The determinants of capital structure: evidence from the Asia Pacific region," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4-5), pages 387-405.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Saumitra Bhaduri, 2002. "Determinants of corporate borrowing: Some evidence from the Indian corporate structure," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 26(2), pages 200-215, June.
- Philippe Gaud & Elion Jani & Martin Hoesli & André Bender, 2005. "The Capital Structure of Swiss Companies: an Empirical Analysis Using Dynamic Panel Data," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 11(1), pages 51-69.
- Philippe Gaud & Elion Jani & Martin Hoesli & André Bender, 2003. "The capital structure of Swiss companies: an empirical analysis using dynamic panel data," FAME Research Paper Series rp68, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Paul A. Phillips & Mehmet A. Sipahioglu, 2004. "Performance implications of capital structure: evidence from quoted UK organisations with hotel interests," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(5), pages 31-51, September.
- Andreas Feidakis & Antonios Rovolis, 2007. "Capital structure choice in European Union: evidence from the construction industry," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(12), pages 989-1002.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-1460, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nikolaos Daskalakis & Maria Psillaki, 2007. "Do country or firm factors explain capital structure? Evidence from SMEs in France and Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 87-97.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- Franck Bancel & Usha R. Mittoo, 2004. "Cross-Country Determinants of Capital Structure Choice: A Survey of European Firms," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Wiwattanakantang, Yupana, 1999. "An empirical study on the determinants of the capital structure of Thai firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 371-403, August.
- Ang, James S. & Fatemi, Ali & Tourani-Rad, Alireza, 1997. "Capital structure and dividend policies of Indonesian firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 87-103, February.
- Dries Heyman & Marc Deloof & Hubert Ooghe, 2008. "The Financial Structure of Private Held Belgian Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 301-313, March.
- Emilio Colombo, 2001. "Determinants of corporate capital structure: evidence from Hungarian firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1689-1701.
- F. Voulgaris & D. Asteriou & G. Agiomirgianakis, 2004. "Size and Determinants of Capital Structure in the Greek Manufacturing Sector," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 247-262.
- Brounen, D. & de Jong, A. & Koedijk, C.G., 2005. "Capital Structure Policies in Europe: Survey Evidence," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-005-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)