Consolidation first - About twin deficits and the causal relation between fiscal budget and current account imbalances
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- John Bluedorn & Daniel Leigh, 2011. "Revisiting the Twin Deficits Hypothesis: The Effect of Fiscal Consolidation on the Current Account," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 59(4), pages 582-602, November.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974. "Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, September.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Evan Lau, 2009. "Structural breaks and the twin deficits hypothesis: Evidence from East Asian countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2517-2524.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alberto Bagnai, 2010. "Twin deficits in CEEC economies: evidence from panel unit root tests," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1071-1081.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Malte Rengel, 2020. "Sustainability of European fiscal balances: Just a statistical artifact?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 58(4), pages 1681-1712, April.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Milan Nedeljkovic & Gonzalo Varela & Michele Savini Zangrandi, 2015. "Indonesia Current Account Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 22340, The World Bank.
- Francesco Forte & Cosimo Magazzino, 2015. "Ricardian equivalence and twin deficits hypotheses in the euro area," Journal of Social and Economic Development, Springer;Institute for Social and Economic Change, vol. 17(2), pages 148-166, October.
- Smith, Constance E., 2011.
"External balance adjustment: An intra-national and international comparison,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1195-1213, October.
- Smith, Constance, 2011. "External Balance Adjustment: An Intra-National and International Comparison," Working Papers 2011-13, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Leonor Coutinho & Alessandro Turrini & Stefan Zeugner, 2018. "Methodologies for the Assessment of Current Account Benchmarks," European Economy - Discussion Papers 2015 - 086, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Xinshen DIAO & Terry L. ROE & A. Erinç YELDAN, 1999.
"How Fiscal Mismanagement May Impede Trade Reform: Lessons From An Intertemporal, Multi-Sector General Equilibrium Model For Turkey,"
The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 37(1), pages 59-88, March.
- Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry L. & Yeldan, A. Erinc, 1998. "How Fiscal (Mis)-Management May Impede Trade Reform: Lessons From an Intertemporal, Multi-Sector General Equilibrium Model for Turkey," Bulletins 7459, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Jarrett, Uchechukwu & Mohaddes, Kamiar & Mohtadi, Hamid, 2019.
"Oil price volatility, financial institutions and economic growth,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 126(C), pages 131-144.
- , Kamiar Mohaddes & Uchechukwu Jarrett & Hamid Mohtadi, 2018. "Oil Price Volatility, Financial Institutions and Economic Growth," Working Papers 1230, Economic Research Forum, revised 10 Oct 2018.
- Jarrett, U. & Mohaddes, K. & Mohtadi, H., 2018. "Oil Price Volatility, Financial Institutions and Economic Growth," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1851, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Samargandi, Nahla & Fidrmuc, Jan & Ghosh, Sugata, 2015.
"Is the Relationship Between Financial Development and Economic Growth Monotonic? Evidence from a Sample of Middle-Income Countries,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 66-81.
- Nahla Samargandi & Jan Fidrmuc & Sugata Ghosh, 2014. "Is the Relationship between Financial Development and Economic Growth Monotonic? Evidence from a Sample of Middle Income Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 4743, CESifo.
- Elmendorf, Douglas W. & Gregory Mankiw, N., 1999.
Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 25, pages 1615-1669,
- Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1998. "Government Debt," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1820, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1998. "Government Debt," NBER Working Papers 6470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elmendorf, Douglas W. & Mankiw, N, 1999. "Government Debt," Scholarly Articles 2643866, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1998. "Government debt," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nizar, Muhammad Afdi, 2013. "Pengaruh Defisit Anggaran Terhadap Defisit Transaksi Berjalan Di Indonesia [The Effect of Budget Deficit on Current Accounts Deficit in Indonesia]," MPRA Paper 65609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adema, Yvonne & Pozzi, Lorenzo, 2015. "Business cycle fluctuations and household saving in OECD countries: A panel data analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 214-233.
- Megumi Kubota, "undated". "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments: Theoretical Modelling and Empirical Evidence," Discussion Papers 09/24, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Gazi M. Hassan & Mark J. Holmes, 2016.
"Do Remittances Facilitate a Sustainable Current Account?,"
The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(11), pages 1834-1853, November.
- Gazi M. Hassan & Mark J. Holmes, 2014. "Do Remittances Facilitate a Sustainable Current Account?," Working Papers in Economics 14/07, University of Waikato.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001. "Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 2001/056, International Monetary Fund.
- Florian Morvillier, 2018. "On the impact of the launch of the euro on EMU macroeconomic vulnerability," EconomiX Working Papers 2018-51, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Nagayasu, Jun, 2010.
"Structural breaks in the real exchange rate and real interest rate relationship,"
Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 138-151.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Nagayasu, Jun, 2008. "Structural Breaks in the Real Exchange Rate and Real Interest Rate Relationship," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-52, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Joseph P. Byrne & Jun Nagayasu, 2008. "Structural Breaks in the Real Exchange Rate and Real Interest Rate Relationship," Working Papers 2008_29, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Luke Willard, 2007. "Trade Costs and Some Puzzles in International Macroeconomics," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2007-10, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Tosun, M. Umur & Iyidogan, Pelin Varol & Telatar, Erdinç, 2014. "The Twin Deficits in Selected Central and Eastern European Economies: Bounds Testing Approach with Causality Analysis," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 141-160, June.
- Noritsugu Nakanishi & Ngo Van Long, 2020.
"A new impetus for endogenous growth: R&D offshoring via virtual labor mobility,"
Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 846-883, August.
- Nakanishi, Noritsugu & Long, Ngo Van, 2020. "A New Impetus for Endogenous Growth: R&D Offshoring via Virtual Labor Mobility," Discussion paper series HIAS-E-95, Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study, Hitotsubashi University.
- Georgios KARRAS, 2019. "“Twins” Or Just “Siblings”?Budget And Current Account Deficits In Europe, 1870-2013," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 19(1), pages 33-42.
- Romain Ranciere & Nathaniel A. Throckmorton & Michael Kumhof & Claire Lebarz & Alexander W. Richter, 2012. "Income Inequality and Current Account Imbalances," IMF Working Papers 2012/008, International Monetary Fund.
More about this item
KeywordsFiscal policy; trade imbalances; Granger causality; forecasting;
All these keywords.
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00823. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.