Effective area as a measure of land factor
Empirical studies use the total area as a measure of land factor. This measure is flawed as it ignores the effectiveness of that total area. We develop an estimator of effective area based on spatial population distribution. The empirical application for the OECD countries highlights the advantages of the United States in land factor and shows that Eastern European countries have the highest proportion of effective area. The estimation also supports Helpman's view: if population density increases, population disperses.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Brülhart, Marius & Sbergami, Federica, 2009.
"Agglomeration and growth: Cross-country evidence,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Brülhart, Marius & Sbergami, Federica, 2008. "Agglomeration and Growth: Cross-Country Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6941, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Federica SBERGAMI, 2008. "Agglomeration and Growth : Cross-Country Evidence," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 08.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Vernon Henderson & Adam Storeygard & David N. Weil, 2011. "A Bright Idea for Measuring Economic Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 194-99, May.
- Octavio R. Escobar Gamboa, 2010.
"The (un)lucky neighbour: Differences in export performance across Mexico's states,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(4), pages 777-799, November.
- Escobar Gamboa, Octavio Romano, 2010. "The (un)lucky neighbour: Differences in export performance across Mexico's states," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10604, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marcy Burchfield & Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga & Matthew A. Turner, 2006.
"Causes of Sprawl: A Portrait from Space,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 121(2), pages 587-633, May.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Real National Income," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 19-39, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00091. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.